To pat dry or nay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dc2123

Cook
So I am marinading pork shoulder in a pretty wet liquid mixture of blended up pineapple w/ juice, cilantro, green onion, garlic, serrano peppers, lemon juice, red wine vin.

My question is should I pat it dry before I cook it or kind of just shake some excess off?

I've always read that when you want a well-browned or charred (if on BBQ) cut of meat it should be patted dry first. Others more knowledgeable may come along with a different opinion.

That's how I do it.

As long as the surface is wet, it can't get any hotter than the boiling point of water. Only after the surface water has evaporated, can it get hot enough to reach the Millard reaction and achieve browning. The meat can overcook while waiting for the sear.

When you pat the surface water away, you allow the Millard reaction to begin, and the meat can sear nicely before it begins to overcook.

Always pay dry.

Last edited:
A dry meat surfce is more critical with small pieces like a steak. With a pork shoulder, it's still a good idea but not as critical because there's plenty of time in the hot oven to crisp the exterior.

As long as the surface is wet, it can't get any hotter than the boiling point of water. Only after the surface water has evaporated, can it get hot enough to reach the Millard reaction and achieve browning. The meat can overcook while waiting for the sear.

When you pat the surface water away, you allow the Millard reaction to begin, and the meat can sear nicely before it begins to overcook.

Always pay dry.
What s/he said.

I would take it out of the brine and dry. Add a rub and let sit overnight. If your going to bake it, brown it in hot oil. If your going to BBQ it no browning is necessary.

Darn auto-correct! I just noticed that my tablet auto-corrected Maillard to Millard. I know the difference, but my tablet doesn't.

But of course you do... :rolleyes:
:LOL:

Yes, it really depends on what results you are going for.
You hate to shake off a good marinade, but it will impede your meat getting a crust.

Back
Top Bottom