"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I make my tea in a teapot so no squeezing required .
Ditto

Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Scoop the bag out in a spoon, wrap the string around the bag in the spoon and pull to squeeze out the liquid.
Some of my teas, like Bigelow or Eastern Shore brands, come in foil bags. Bigelow has a tag and string so I'll just pull the bag from the cup and squeeze with the empty bag, opened on the sides. Eastern Shore doesn't have a string, but I still usually pluck it out of the water and squeeze with the foil outer bag if my fingers are feeling a bit adventurous that day.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #23
Master Chef

I have been buying loose tea lately: rose hip, hibiscus and oolong mostly. I mix Rose hips and hibiscus together which are very high in vitamins. I use a tea ball which I fill the bottom half to just below the threads. It is a perfect amount of tea for a rich full flavored cup of tea. My corelle mug is small maybe 6 - 8 oz. NO squeezing necessary.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I make my tea by the pitcher. 5 bags of Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger, pour boiling water over it, cool, and store in the fridge. I don't take the tea bags out until I'm down to the last drop. Then I squeeze 'em.

And I just realized I've offended every real tea person. To steal a line from Oldvine, my kitchen, my tea.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #25
Master Chef

That's OK Dawg, Celestial Seasonings makes mostly herbal teas. Some people don't consider that real tea.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #26
Head Chef

If an As Seen on TV infomercial depicted a product for around $19.99 whereas you could easily fill bags/filter pouches with your own coffee or tea and seal it automatically...do you think it would garner any interest? I have a 2-4 cup coffee maker that uses round prefilled filter pouches for coffee. Maxwell makes them. They are pricey. I tried using available square coffee filter pouches, but not only do they let clear water drip by during brewing, it's a mess filling them up and sealing them. Noone makes round fillable filter pouches at the moment, only square ones.

What if a small inexpensive product would provide you with round and square filter pouches that would make the process of filling them and sealing them neat and simple. It would even provide for making tea pouches complete with string. You could then use any coffee or tea you wanted, buy it in bulk and save money too.

Is this a pipe dream? Probably. If such a product appeared on TV tho, I might pay attention to it. How about you?
Old 03-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That's OK Dawg, Celestial Seasonings makes mostly herbal teas. Some people don't consider that real tea.
That is because technically it is not tea. Tea is a specific drink. If it is not cured camellia sinensis leaves then it is not tea.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
That is the question. I guess I never paid attention before, but on the box of tea I just bought it says not squeeze the bag. I wonder why? Do you have any idea?
It is my understanding that to squeeze a wet teabag is to release all the bitter tannins in the tea leaves.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Scoop the bag out in a spoon, wrap the string around the bag in the spoon and pull to squeeze out the liquid.

We always wrapped the string around the bag and spoon and pressed down on the bag using the paper tag. Now I buy teabags that don't have strings or tags. I hold the cup over the waste basket, squeeze the bag between my fingers and let it drop in.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I have been buying loose tea lately: rose hip, hibiscus and oolong mostly. I mix Rose hips and hibiscus together which are very high in vitamins. I use a tea ball which I fill the bottom half to just below the threads. It is a perfect amount of tea for a rich full flavored cup of tea. My corelle mug is small maybe 6 - 8 oz. NO squeezing necessary.

I have that same Corelle! I bought it new, unopened, at a flea market. I loved the pattern. Did you know there were glasses that match? I bought a set of 8 at Hills years ago on clearance because one glass was missing. It wasn't until I got them home that I realized they were the same pattern as my dishes. They are just clear glass with the same flower pattern around the top.