"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
That is because technically it is not tea. Tea is a specific drink. If it is not cured camellia sinensis leaves then it is not tea.
I knew that! Did you know that there is a commercial tea plantation in South Carolina? Tea first came to SC in the 19700s with on and off success, but The Charleston Plantation has now been in continuous operation since 1987. We visited and took a tour, had samples, bought a package. It's tea. I prefer Harney Tea.

FWIW, there are a few other small tea farms in the U.S. If anyone is interested, the list of them is here: World of Tea

Old 03-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #32
Proud American

Squeezing the bags isn't bad. It's preferred at Gwen's house because she can't make a very good pot of tea, so it's best to squeeze the bags in the microwaved water.

We prefer to make the tea with boiling water in a teapot with the bags as one per cup and let it steep for three minutes off of the burner upon a trivet.

With love,
~Cat

Old 03-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Squeezing the bags isn't bad. It's preferred at Gwen's house because she can't make a very good pot of tea, so it's best to squeeze the bags in the microwaved water.

We prefer to make the tea with boiling water in a teapot with the bags as one per cup and let it steep for three minutes off of the burner upon a trivet.

With love,
~Cat
Tea should ALWAYS be made with boiling water.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #34
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Tea should ALWAYS be made with boiling water.
Sorry, but I disagree. It depends on the type of tea. You would ruin your white tea, for instance, if you poured boiling water on it.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a teapot called The Brown Betty. And it makes the best tea. I prefer to make my tea the European way. Pour hot water into teapot to heat it up. Empty it, and then put the tea in and boiling water. My supermarket does not carry loose tea, so I just tear the tea bags open and put that in the teapot. It even has a little lip inside to stop the leaves from going into the cup. I also drink my tea black with just a little sugar. I also heat my cup up first before I pour tea into it.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #36
Master Chef

When I visited tea growing farm, years ago, I was told to bring eater just before boiling and poor it over the tea. Not boiling, according to them, not ever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 03-11-2014, 01:21 AM   #37
Master Chef

Charlie, I would think by the time you take the water kettle off the burner and go to pour water over your tea it's no longer 212 degrees. So we're safe.

Like GB said, different teas require different brew temperatures. I found a nice chart (at "Food Is My Friend") with brew times and temperatures - Fahrenheit AND Celsius!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #38
Senior Cook

Being from the south I got a laugh out of these posts. Only Dawg mentioned making tea by the pitcher. We (my household) drink lots of "brewed" tea. On rare occassions that is a cup of tea. Mostly by the gallon. But I work for the company that owns Lipton and here is the scoop. Tannins are polyphenols and their content is dependant on the type of tea. Black Tea's have the most, greens and whites are generally the least. The Phenols (Tannins) are removed during the steeping process. They produce a more astrigent, puckery taste (red wine is lots of tannins). The longer you steep the more tannins will be removed. If you squeeze at the end you tend to force out any long steeped products, of which tannins are one.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
Being from the south I got a laugh out of these posts. Only Dawg mentioned making tea by the pitcher. We (my household) drink lots of "brewed" tea. On rare occassions that is a cup of tea. Mostly by the gallon. But I work for the company that owns Lipton and here is the scoop. Tannins are polyphenols and their content is dependant on the type of tea. Black Tea's have the most, greens and whites are generally the least. The Phenols (Tannins) are removed during the steeping process. They produce a more astrigent, puckery taste (red wine is lots of tannins). The longer you steep the more tannins will be removed. If you squeeze at the end you tend to force out any long steeped products, of which tannins are one.
By the pitcher? I've been wondering about that. Like a water pitcher?

I can't remember the last time we made tea other than by the pot. On rare occasion, we might make tea in a large mug. There seems to be some sort of "magic" about making tea that only kicks in with quantities bigger than a small cup. We start our day with coffee and then switch to tea. So, a lot of tea gets drunk at our house.

I don't like the flavours that come out of the teabag when you squeeze it.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Good, strong, sugar or not, iced tea by the pitcher. Don't like hot tea.