To squeeze or not to squeeze?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
:rolleyes: That is the question. I guess I never paid attention before, but on the box of tea I just bought it says not squeeze the bag. I wonder why? Do you have any idea?

:rolleyes: That is the question. I guess I never paid attention before, but on the box of tea I just bought it says not squeeze the bag. I wonder why? Do you have any idea?
Does it refer to the tea bag or the packaging that it's in? Are they proper tea or fruit/herbal "teas"?

I squeeze my teabags all the time. If you don't they make a mess when you fish them out of the mug. I even have a little gadget to do it with.

Never come across this instruction.

Excuse me while I go and put the kettle on.

EDIT: I wonder if they think we're all idiots and will try to squeeze the boiling hot teabag then sue them when we scald ourselves?

Last edited:
it is Bigelow brand, Earl Grey tea. I too, always squeeze the bag, otherwise it drips all over the place.

By all means don't squeeze it.

You might not get all the flavor out of it. :pig:

I have no idea why they might place that on the label unless they think you might squeeze too hard and burst it open.

Scoop the bag out in a spoon, wrap the string around the bag in the spoon and pull to squeeze out the liquid.

Hope you can see in this picture.

Attachments

• DSC00120.JPG
    DSC00120.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 189
Hope you can see in this picture.

I wonder if they just want you to use more tea if it's not strong enough. My other thought would be that some residue would escape from the bag and would cloud your tea. Our UK folks are probably the best authorities.

Last edited:
I wonder if they just want you to use more tea if it's not strong enough. My other thought would be that some residue would escape from the bag and would cloud your tea. Our UK folks are probably the best authorities.
I like my tea strong but I thought 2 minutes brewing for a teabag in an approx. 7 ounce mug is a bit long. Perhaps they are thinking about squeezing extracting too much tannin out of the tea and making it bitter. Dunno, really. I 've just had a look and good ol' Tetley tea bags and Yorkshire Tea don't have that instruction on the box.

\there has been talk recently about the paper used to make the bags not being good for you
Tea Bags Made of Paper: Are They Harmful to Your Health? - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

To be honest I think tea made from loose leaves tastes better than bags and works out cheaper too (which is a consideration when you drink as much of the stuff as I do!) but there's a lot of faffing about with teapots and tea strainers. I have a little gadget which works like an electric coffee filter machine and makes just one cup of tea at a time using leaf tea straight into the cup. Worth it's weight in gold.

I like my tea strong but I thought 2 minutes brewing for a teabag in an approx. 7 ounce mug is a bit long. Perhaps they are thinking about squeezing extracting too much tannin out of the tea and making it bitter. Dunno, really. I 've just had a look and good ol' Tetley tea bags and Yorkshire Tea don't have that instruction on the box.

\there has been talk recently about the paper used to make the bags not being good for you
Tea Bags Made of Paper: Are They Harmful to Your Health? - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

To be honest I think tea made from loose leaves tastes better than bags and works out cheaper too (which is a consideration when you drink as much of the stuff as I do!) but there's a lot of faffing about with teapots and tea strainers. I have a little gadget which works like an electric coffee filter machine and makes just one cup of tea at a time using leaf tea straight into the cup. Worth it's weight in gold.
I can't really taste a difference, when it's the same brand. I have some loose tea, but here it usually works out more expensive. I guess it's more "gourmet". :rolleyes::wacko:

The reason you are not supposed to squeeze the bag is because it can make the tea taste bitter. If you do not find that to be the case then feel free to squeeze. It will not do anything bad.

... To be honest I think tea made from loose leaves tastes better than bags and works out cheaper too ...[/SIZE][/FONT]

my feeling too. I like to make tea essence and then make cup of tea using it. Don't do it often enough.

Back
Top Bottom