To squeeze or not to squeeze?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scoop the bag out in a spoon, wrap the string around the bag in the spoon and pull to squeeze out the liquid.
Some of my teas, like Bigelow or Eastern Shore brands, come in foil bags. Bigelow has a tag and string so I'll just pull the bag from the cup and squeeze with the empty bag, opened on the sides. Eastern Shore doesn't have a string, but I still usually pluck it out of the water and squeeze with the foil outer bag if my fingers are feeling a bit adventurous that day.

I have been buying loose tea lately: rose hip, hibiscus and oolong mostly. I mix Rose hips and hibiscus together which are very high in vitamins. I use a tea ball which I fill the bottom half to just below the threads. It is a perfect amount of tea for a rich full flavored cup of tea. My corelle mug is small maybe 6 - 8 oz. NO squeezing necessary.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 86
  • mSI725zkSi0eGVONqhWzOfA.jpg
    mSI725zkSi0eGVONqhWzOfA.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 77
I make my tea by the pitcher. 5 bags of Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger, pour boiling water over it, cool, and store in the fridge. I don't take the tea bags out until I'm down to the last drop. Then I squeeze 'em.

And I just realized I've offended every real tea person. To steal a line from Oldvine, my kitchen, my tea.

Last edited:
If an As Seen on TV infomercial depicted a product for around $19.99 whereas you could easily fill bags/filter pouches with your own coffee or tea and seal it automatically...do you think it would garner any interest? I have a 2-4 cup coffee maker that uses round prefilled filter pouches for coffee. Maxwell makes them. They are pricey. I tried using available square coffee filter pouches, but not only do they let clear water drip by during brewing, it's a mess filling them up and sealing them. Noone makes round fillable filter pouches at the moment, only square ones.

What if a small inexpensive product would provide you with round and square filter pouches that would make the process of filling them and sealing them neat and simple. It would even provide for making tea pouches complete with string. You could then use any coffee or tea you wanted, buy it in bulk and save money too.

Is this a pipe dream? Probably. If such a product appeared on TV tho, I might pay attention to it. How about you?

Last edited:
:rolleyes: That is the question. I guess I never paid attention before, but on the box of tea I just bought it says not squeeze the bag. I wonder why? Do you have any idea?

It is my understanding that to squeeze a wet teabag is to release all the bitter tannins in the tea leaves. :angel:

Scoop the bag out in a spoon, wrap the string around the bag in the spoon and pull to squeeze out the liquid.

We always wrapped the string around the bag and spoon and pressed down on the bag using the paper tag. Now I buy teabags that don't have strings or tags. I hold the cup over the waste basket, squeeze the bag between my fingers and let it drop in.

I have been buying loose tea lately: rose hip, hibiscus and oolong mostly. I mix Rose hips and hibiscus together which are very high in vitamins. I use a tea ball which I fill the bottom half to just below the threads. It is a perfect amount of tea for a rich full flavored cup of tea. My corelle mug is small maybe 6 - 8 oz. NO squeezing necessary.

I have that same Corelle! I bought it new, unopened, at a flea market. I loved the pattern. Did you know there were glasses that match? I bought a set of 8 at Hills years ago on clearance because one glass was missing. It wasn't until I got them home that I realized they were the same pattern as my dishes. They are just clear glass with the same flower pattern around the top.

That is because technically it is not tea. Tea is a specific drink. If it is not cured camellia sinensis leaves then it is not tea.
I knew that! :LOL: Did you know that there is a commercial tea plantation in South Carolina? Tea first came to SC in the 19700s with on and off success, but The Charleston Plantation has now been in continuous operation since 1987. We visited and took a tour, had samples, bought a package. It's tea. I prefer Harney Tea.

FWIW, there are a few other small tea farms in the U.S. If anyone is interested, the list of them is here: World of Tea

Squeezing the bags isn't bad. It's preferred at Gwen's house because she can't make a very good pot of tea, so it's best to squeeze the bags in the microwaved water.

We prefer to make the tea with boiling water in a teapot with the bags as one per cup and let it steep for three minutes off of the burner upon a trivet.

With love,
~Cat

Squeezing the bags isn't bad. It's preferred at Gwen's house because she can't make a very good pot of tea, so it's best to squeeze the bags in the microwaved water.

We prefer to make the tea with boiling water in a teapot with the bags as one per cup and let it steep for three minutes off of the burner upon a trivet.

With love,
~Cat
Tea should ALWAYS be made with boiling water. :yum:

I have a teapot called The Brown Betty. And it makes the best tea. I prefer to make my tea the European way. Pour hot water into teapot to heat it up. Empty it, and then put the tea in and boiling water. My supermarket does not carry loose tea, so I just tear the tea bags open and put that in the teapot. It even has a little lip inside to stop the leaves from going into the cup. I also drink my tea black with just a little sugar. I also heat my cup up first before I pour tea into it. :angel:

When I visited tea growing farm, years ago, I was told to bring eater just before boiling and poor it over the tea. Not boiling, according to them, not ever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Charlie, I would think by the time you take the water kettle off the burner and go to pour water over your tea it's no longer 212 degrees. So we're safe.

Like GB said, different teas require different brew temperatures. I found a nice chart (at "Food Is My Friend") with brew times and temperatures - Fahrenheit AND Celsius!

tea.jpg

Being from the south I got a laugh out of these posts. Only Dawg mentioned making tea by the pitcher. We (my household) drink lots of "brewed" tea. On rare occassions that is a cup of tea. Mostly by the gallon. But I work for the company that owns Lipton and here is the scoop. Tannins are polyphenols and their content is dependant on the type of tea. Black Tea's have the most, greens and whites are generally the least. The Phenols (Tannins) are removed during the steeping process. They produce a more astrigent, puckery taste (red wine is lots of tannins). The longer you steep the more tannins will be removed. If you squeeze at the end you tend to force out any long steeped products, of which tannins are one.

Being from the south I got a laugh out of these posts. Only Dawg mentioned making tea by the pitcher. We (my household) drink lots of "brewed" tea. On rare occassions that is a cup of tea. Mostly by the gallon. But I work for the company that owns Lipton and here is the scoop. Tannins are polyphenols and their content is dependant on the type of tea. Black Tea's have the most, greens and whites are generally the least. The Phenols (Tannins) are removed during the steeping process. They produce a more astrigent, puckery taste (red wine is lots of tannins). The longer you steep the more tannins will be removed. If you squeeze at the end you tend to force out any long steeped products, of which tannins are one.
By the pitcher? I've been wondering about that. Like a water pitcher?

I can't remember the last time we made tea other than by the pot. On rare occasion, we might make tea in a large mug. There seems to be some sort of "magic" about making tea that only kicks in with quantities bigger than a small cup. We start our day with coffee and then switch to tea. So, a lot of tea gets drunk at our house.

I don't like the flavours that come out of the teabag when you squeeze it.

Good, strong, sugar or not, iced tea by the pitcher. Don't like hot tea.;)

Back
Top Bottom