To Tell or Not to Tell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
I just found out TONIGHT the party I am going to tomorrow is a much smaller group and not as food venturous. And I've prepared organic beef tongue.

The birthday girl thinks I should just say it's beef and not share what part. "Don't say tongue."

I feel like lying to someone about what I'm serving is wrong. Or perhaps another way to describe it is not sharing all the facts.

Some people are sensitive to food from a mental perspective. As in, they find out they ate tongue/squid/etc and then feel sick.

Thoughts? What would you do? I don't like lying, but have been told to. ?

A side note, if you get the chance, this is quite possibly the best part! ?

ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462588759.131458.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462588773.633730.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462588788.167383.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462588811.533006.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462588822.937915.jpg

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

I think as long as you don't present the whole intact tongue in all its glory, which we've been talking about on another thread here, I see no problem telling folks what it is if they ask. Otherwise, your finished product looks very good, I'd try it!

Last edited:
Not sure how you plan to serve it. We typically don't describe the specific parts of the animal when answering questions about a dish.

"What's in this?" "Beef". I've never heard that answer followed by "What part of the cow is it?" The typical answer is just, beef or pork, or chicken, etc.

I'm a fan of beef tongue, and as long as none of the taste buds are visible you're ok.

No need to disclose what part of the cow it came from. It's flat out delicious lean meat!!

Cool, this makes me feel better. Serving it shredded with baguette. Also some condiments (horseradish, chili, pesto, mustard). I was told to bring a substantial appetizer and thought the crowd was food venturous.

Kind of bummed to waste it on people who would be happy with another cut, but dems da breaks.

Posting from the app.

There is no real need to share what part of the cow it comes from. I have had beef tongue, and didn't even know what I was eating. Had I known ahead, more than likely, I would have politely passed it up. If anyone should ask, "It is just shredded beef." That was the answer I got. So I made myself a very tasty sandwich. Today, if you told me what it was, and having had it before, I would make a sandwich again. And I am unfortunately a very picky eater.
:angel:

jeni, I have a better idea... don't go to this party because it sounds slightly high on the "upitty" scale... Instead, go northeast all the way to Nova Scotia, Canada, and sit around the campfire with me and my wife. I'll make you some moose steaks on the open fire... and I WILL tell you what it is I'm serving you...

I live way back in the woods though, so you'll need directions.

I agree that most people generally ask what kind of animal they are eating (e.g. cow, pig, chicken), but *usually* don't explicitly ask what part of the animal they are eating, so usually a top level answer of "beef" suffices.

However, IMO cow tongue isn't a commonly eaten part (relatively speaking), so IMO most people probably don't *really* think they might actually be eating cow tongue when you tell them they are eating beef. So if you have guilt about "leaving info out" being the equivalent of lying, IMO you're still in that boat on that count.

I agree that it'd be a shame to waste it, and I also agree that most people who like beef will likely enjoy cow tongue, if they can work up the courage to give it a try. If it were close friends or family I knew really well and I was certain how'd they react, I'd probably be tempted to keep it a secret and tell them afterwards. Strangers though? Unfortunately in this day and age, you may just find yourself being sued for "mental trauma" or the like, so I probably would not take chances, and instead opt for full disclosure ahead of time. Only you can really make that judgment though.

That's my 2 cents.

I like beef tongue, but almost always have it served in/as tacos.
If asked, tell them exactly what it is. No need to mask what it is. If the thought of a tongue grosses them out, too bad for them.....for being ignorant.

Last edited:
I agree, RF. While there's no need to walk through the door and announce to all, "I have beef tongue!", there's no reason to lie if someone asks. You may have introduced them to a new flavor and cut of meat!

I remember as a young 'tween, we had a wild game cookout with friends, with elk, venison, moose, etc. My parents tried to convince us that it was all beef. I knew it was not beef. Had a hard time believing them after that!

Last edited:
A campfire in Nova Scotia sounds lovely and I've never been. Yes you called it, a little uppity. They can't help themselves. ☺️

Posting from the app.

Well I don't know why my last post only posted just now and not last night, but I think I will tell them what it is when asked.

Some people are very weird about food (or is that me? ?) I guess I'd rather have someone decline to try it than find out later and think they were ill from it.

Posting from the app.

jeni, I have a better idea... don't go to this party because it sounds slightly high on the "upitty" scale...
I suspect the opposite is probably the case. I know quite a few "uppity" people, although I would never call them that because most of them are very nice. But they are the ones who usually refer to themselves as "foodies" and are very adventurous eaters, for the most part. I don't think they would have any problem with it.

On the other end of the spectrum there are people like my brother. He and his wife are very blue collar, salt-of-the-earth, working class folks. They're very nice people. But would either of them ever try beef tongue? I highly doubt it. I've seen both of them snub "unusual" foods on many occasions. But I do think he would be classy about it, simply saying "no thank you" when offered, without making a fuss.

I told, they ate it all.

Served on homemade baguette with choices of pesto, chili tomato sauce, fig jam. I decided horseradish and mustard over powered too much.

Plus someone brought this lemon bundt cake, which was wonderful.

ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462761444.456255.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462761461.157617.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462761476.157407.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462761487.875361.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462761498.191920.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462761509.322673.jpg

Posting from the app.

8 people not including myself. 3 people had never had it before. People liked it with the fig the most. 1 of the new people said she was surprised how much she liked it. That's about it, there was a lot of food.

I didn't do the cake, but I thought I'd share. It was devoured as well.

Posting from the app.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom