"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #1
Senior Cook

To Tell or Not to Tell

I just found out TONIGHT the party I am going to tomorrow is a much smaller group and not as food venturous. And I've prepared organic beef tongue.

The birthday girl thinks I should just say it's beef and not share what part. "Don't say tongue."

I feel like lying to someone about what I'm serving is wrong. Or perhaps another way to describe it is not sharing all the facts.

Some people are sensitive to food from a mental perspective. As in, they find out they ate tongue/squid/etc and then feel sick.

Thoughts? What would you do? I don't like lying, but have been told to. 😞

A side note, if you get the chance, this is quite possibly the best part! 😍

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462588759.131458.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	24711Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462588773.633730.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	24712Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462588788.167383.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	24713Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462588811.533006.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	24714Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1462588822.937915.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	24715

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

To Tell or Not to Tell

I think as long as you don't present the whole intact tongue in all its glory, which we've been talking about on another thread here, I see no problem telling folks what it is if they ask. Otherwise, your finished product looks very good, I'd try it!

Old 05-06-2016, 11:22 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Not sure how you plan to serve it. We typically don't describe the specific parts of the animal when answering questions about a dish.

"What's in this?" "Beef". I've never heard that answer followed by "What part of the cow is it?" The typical answer is just, beef or pork, or chicken, etc.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'm a fan of beef tongue, and as long as none of the taste buds are visible you're ok.

No need to disclose what part of the cow it came from. It's flat out delicious lean meat!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:17 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Cool, this makes me feel better. Serving it shredded with baguette. Also some condiments (horseradish, chili, pesto, mustard). I was told to bring a substantial appetizer and thought the crowd was food venturous.

Kind of bummed to waste it on people who would be happy with another cut, but dems da breaks.

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:59 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

There is no real need to share what part of the cow it comes from. I have had beef tongue, and didn't even know what I was eating. Had I known ahead, more than likely, I would have politely passed it up. If anyone should ask, "It is just shredded beef." That was the answer I got. So I made myself a very tasty sandwich. Today, if you told me what it was, and having had it before, I would make a sandwich again. And I am unfortunately a very picky eater.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:29 AM   #7
Senior Cook

jeni, I have a better idea... don't go to this party because it sounds slightly high on the "upitty" scale... Instead, go northeast all the way to Nova Scotia, Canada, and sit around the campfire with me and my wife. I'll make you some moose steaks on the open fire... and I WILL tell you what it is I'm serving you...

I live way back in the woods though, so you'll need directions.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I agree that most people generally ask what kind of animal they are eating (e.g. cow, pig, chicken), but *usually* don't explicitly ask what part of the animal they are eating, so usually a top level answer of "beef" suffices.

However, IMO cow tongue isn't a commonly eaten part (relatively speaking), so IMO most people probably don't *really* think they might actually be eating cow tongue when you tell them they are eating beef. So if you have guilt about "leaving info out" being the equivalent of lying, IMO you're still in that boat on that count.

I agree that it'd be a shame to waste it, and I also agree that most people who like beef will likely enjoy cow tongue, if they can work up the courage to give it a try. If it were close friends or family I knew really well and I was certain how'd they react, I'd probably be tempted to keep it a secret and tell them afterwards. Strangers though? Unfortunately in this day and age, you may just find yourself being sued for "mental trauma" or the like, so I probably would not take chances, and instead opt for full disclosure ahead of time. Only you can really make that judgment though.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
Master Chef

I like beef tongue, but almost always have it served in/as tacos.
If asked, tell them exactly what it is. No need to mask what it is. If the thought of a tongue grosses them out, too bad for them.....for being ignorant.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

To Tell or Not to Tell

I agree, RF. While there's no need to walk through the door and announce to all, "I have beef tongue!", there's no reason to lie if someone asks. You may have introduced them to a new flavor and cut of meat!

I remember as a young 'tween, we had a wild game cookout with friends, with elk, venison, moose, etc. My parents tried to convince us that it was all beef. I knew it was not beef. Had a hard time believing them after that!