Tomato Paste Substitute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Say a recipe calls for tomato paste and you go to the pantry and lo and behold you don't have any........what can you use in its place. This time I ended up using a small can of tomato sauce because I really didn't feel like luging my butt to the store....:)

I have used ketchup depending on what I am making and how lazy I feel as far going to the store. Ketchup and paprika. Once I used dry coffee creamer in Alfredo because I was homebound and had already set my mind to making Alfredo and did not have enough cream. I was ashamed but also strangely fullfilled.

Thanks guys! I've already added the sauce to my dish. But I'll keep your suggestions in mind for the next time I find I'm out of the paste.

puree diced or whole canned tomatoes...or crushed tomato. neither will be as thick, but both will give great flavor and cook down well.

You never did say what the recipe was, Sizzlin. I always keep tomato paste on hand, but I don't use it very often. What are/were you making?

Constance said:
You never did say what the recipe was, Sizzlin. I always keep tomato paste on hand, but I don't use it very often. What are/were you making?

I ususally have several cans but with the kitchen in disarray (remodeling) I haven't a clue as to what I have or don't when it comes to meal time. That is unless I go directly to the store and buy everything I need for that particular meal.
Anyway, it was for a beef stew recipe I found on the back of the Swanson Beef Broth can. The fact that it called for coffee granules or instant coffee caught my eye and I had to give it a try. It wasn't too bad but I had to tweek it with S & P and next time I'll try to change it up. I'm not a huge fan of thyme and this called for a tsp. so I'll probably try it with other variations of herbs.

The new glue-in-place (that's the only way I can descirbe them) sheets have been a Godsend to me as far as tomato paste goes. I open a can, use what I need, & then spoon out tablespoon-fulls on one of those sheets, cover it with another sheet, & squeeze out the air between all the little tablespoons. It works FANTASTICALLY!! Just this past weekend I was able to "cut out" two tablespoons of frozen tomato paste to use in a recipe.

I've also used this stuff for freezeing leftover canned chipotle peppers in adobe sauce. Works great.

I also alway have a "tube" of tomato paste in the fridge for those recipes that just call for a small dollop or so.

Admins - I'm getting pretty d**** sick of these posting problems. I can't even delete all my repetitive posts - which I did NOT post.

These problems are NOT due to my computer.

HELLO - ANYBODY HOME???

Last edited:
I think ketchup is closer in flavor to tomato paste than canned tomato.

I freeze spoonfuls of leftover paste on a plate then toss them into a Ziplock.

BreezyCooking said:
Admins - I'm getting pretty d**** sick of these posting problems. I can't even delete all my repetitive posts - which I did NOT post.

These problems are NOT due to my computer.

HELLO - ANYBODY HOME???

Its been happening to me to Breeze.

I use the tube of tomato paste, always on hand in the fridge, especially if I don't need a whole can of paste. Another idea is if you don't need the whole can of paste you can freeze the left over ones in an ice cube tray .

Back
Top Bottom