Tomato purée

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PEZ

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,
Everytime i try to make pizza when I bake it the tomato puréé on it always burns a bit.A pizza must be baked at a really high temperature so I dont know what could be the problem.I make it in electronic oven with air circulating function at 200-240 C.
Thanks

Hello everyone,
Everytime i try to make pizza when I bake it the tomato puréé on it always burns a bit.A pizza must be baked at a really high temperature so I dont know what could be the problem.I make it in electronic oven with air circulating function at 200-240 C.
Thanks

Is the puree part of a sauce or is it THE sauce? Also is it the first to hit the dough/crust, then cheese and topping(s) last?

is

it IS the sauce and its first thing i put onto the dough and then onion and some meat and Finally the cheese.I always go to italy and they cook it at 400-500 degrees as well....in a furnance or i dont know its name in english.......

You might want to water down the puree a bit. Pizza sauce is usually pretty loose/runny around here.

Last edited:
You might want to water down the puree a bit. Pizza sauce is usually pretty loose/runny around here.

Exactly.

I know in the UK, tomato puree, is more like what we think of as tomato paste here in the States.

I would look for crushed, or diced tomatoes, in juice, drain, add some fresh basil, crushed garlic,a little oregano, salt, and some olive oil. You can pulse it in a processor to break it down, or cook it down just a little.

Tomato puree here is like diced tomatoes that have been pureed..so sort of a runny consistency, but slightly thicker than a can of diced tomatoes

Tomato paste is the thicker type that you would actually "spread" over a pizza base rather that pour over :)

My

I use homemade paste, I make it, I took the wet part of the tomato and I grind it and cook it for 1-1.5 hour.So the final product is like the original in Italy, thick and red like the blood.

pez, the idea here is that if sauce burns, it's too thick, and/or has a lot of sugar in it. thin it a little with red wine, or water, or the liquid of your choice.

not too much, or you'll have a soggy pizza. have fun experimenting.

Back
Top Bottom