Tomato Sauce & Tomato Ketchup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

advoca

Senior Cook
I see from a web page of equivalents that:
1 cup ketchup = 1 cup tomato sauce plus 1/2 cup sugar plus 2 Tbsp vinegar.

Does this mean that there is a difference between tomato sauce and tomato ketchup? I always thought they were different words for the same commercial bottled stuff!

here in G Tomatosauce is just pure sauce, like you mentioned, without all these extra things...
it's usually a bit more liquid than ketchup..

In the USA, they are not the same. Ketchup is a thick tomato product made with sugar, vinegar and spices. It is sold in squeeze bottles.

Tomato sauce is just tomato and has a much thinner consistency. It is usually sold in cans.

In the UK, tomato sauce is used as a description for Heinz tomato ketchup (and all other brands, too, so far as I am aware). We call the small tins of concentrate (or tubes) tomatoe puree - and to confuse matters further there's always passata!

Ishbel said:
In the UK, tomato sauce is used as a description for Heinz tomato ketchup (and all other brands, too, so far as I am aware). We call the small tins of concentrate (or tubes) tomatoe puree - and to confuse matters further there's always passata!

Back in the USA, we call the tins/tubes of puree, 'tomato paste'. Our tomato puree is canned tomato that has been processed (as in a food processor) to have a smooth uniform texture. Its uses are the same as canned whole tomatos.

to me they are difentately two different things...
I only will eat Heinz ketchup, tomatoe sauce I'll do with any brand..

Andy M. said:
Back in the USA, we call the tins/tubes of puree, 'tomato paste'. Our tomato puree is canned tomato that has been processed (as in a food processor) to have a smooth uniform texture. Its uses are the same as canned whole tomatos.

That's what we call passata, I suspect! The puree is a really thick, sticky paste, far too rich to use in place of canned tomatoes. I use one tablespoon to add depth to the tinned tomatoes I use when making a Bolognese sauce, for example.

Here are the US usages of the words:

Tomato Paste: Tomatoes pureed with added salt which is cooked down for a long time into a thick paste.

Tomato Puree: Tomatoes pureed and cooked for a much shorter time than for paste - is much thinner than paste and has no added seasonings.

Tomato Sauce: Similar to Tomato puree but usually pureed a little finer - but has added salt, pepper, and other spices.

Tomato Catsup/Ketchup: Similar to tomato sauce but contains sugar, vinegar, and even more spices. Thickness depends on processing - some brands are thin and watery and some are very think. Most often used a a condiment it is also sometimes used in place of, or in addition to, tomato sauce/puree in BBQ sauces, Chili, etc.

In the absence of a good English/American dictionary - this is the best I could find:

Tomato Paste in the US is called Tomato Puree in the UK.
Tomato Catsup/Ketchup in the US is called Tomato Sauce in the UK.

Thanks for clarifying, MichaelFW:)

No wonder we get recipes wrong, when we are separated by a common language!:chef:

No problem Ishbel - this was one of the things I had to look up and research when trying to decypher a few of the recipes in Helen Smith-Twiddy's Celtic Cookbook. Although the book was "supposedly" revised for the American audience .... you had to go back and research the original recipes and ingredients to understand what she was talking about in several places.

I don't know that book, Michael. But I have to admit that the courgette/zucchini, aubergine/eggplant, coriander/cilantro confusion hasn't helped me in the past!

Back
Top Bottom