"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My cherry and strawberry toms are coming on, the bigger ones (Better Boy and Early Girl) aren't setting yet.
Yours look pretty good compared to mine. I have cherry, roma, big boy, and some heirlooms. All of them only have flowers thus far. No fruit at all yet. Same with my peppers.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I will leave the eating of the stems and other parts as such to the rabbits thank you. Basil leaves in my pasta sauce is enough green for me.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I cut it out of regular size tomatoes but I leave it on cherry or grape tomatoes.

I don't think it is poisonous or particularly tasty.

I notice some commercial canners leave it on and I try to remove those when I see them.

It reminds me of people telling me how wonderful french fries or potato salad is with the skins left on the potatoes. IMO that is a rumor being spread by lazy cooks!
Lol.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Executive Chef

DawgL your tomatoes are way ahead of mine. The plants haven't even reach the tops of their cages and don't require staking. No little yellow flowers either. I too like the smell of tomato leaves. Too bad if they don't seem to provide added flavor. Right now, the most flavorful tomatoes in the store are cherry and grape tomatoes, and I don't know if this is a brand or a cultivar-- Compari tomatoes. They are about the size of an Italian plum tomato, only juicier. I call them Personal tomatoes as one or two are enough to use in a small size dish, on a salad or in a sandwich. Compari's I first discovered at Costco, and are avail in several other grocers, and they have a pretty good flavor.

I cut out the top and or core when using tomatoes, even with whole canned tomatoes, just for texture and removing lumps when making a tomato sauce.

I'll tell you, like you all of course already know, Nothing beats a good garden grown vine ripened tomato. I hope to see some reach this stage this summer !
Old 06-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks, they're looking good. We're a bit south of you, though the weather was uncooperative this year. I usually get and plant all my stuff before Mother's Day, but it stayed really cold this year!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i always remove any green leaves or stems from my tomatoes before consumption. i get looks of horror from my wife when i come in from the garden and was brushing up against the tomato plants. i look like i was playing goalie for a dart team with all of the red spots and blotches on my face. it's some kind of bad reaction to whatever chemical is on the plants, so i'm never going to chance it and put any tomato "greens" in my belly.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i always remove any green leaves or stems from my tomatoes before consumption. i get looks of horror from my wife when i come in from the garden and was brushing up against the tomato plants. i look like i was playing goalie for a dart team with all of the red spots and blotches on my face. it's some kind of bad reaction to whatever chemical is on the plants, so i'm never going to chance it and put any tomato "greens" in my belly.
I get a reaction, contact dermatitis/eczema, any time I get near cucumber plants. Strangely enough, I can pull up poison ivy with my bare hands, and probably could sleep in it. DH can get poison ivy by looking at it.

Tomato leaves haven't affected me, so far.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I own two little chefs tools called a shark. It is specifically for removing the stem end of tomatoes. I hate when I get a salad in a restaurant and the ends are left on. My little sharks get a lot of use.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I get a reaction, contact dermatitis/eczema, any time I get near cucumber plants. Strangely enough, I can pull up poison ivy with my bare hands, and probably could sleep in it. DH can get poison ivy by looking at it.

Tomato leaves haven't affected me, so far.
i'm the same with poisin ivy: no reaction at all, even in it's peak oily stage.

i remember going apple picking many years ago with my dw (gf at the time), and as we were headed back to the exit, we decided
to take a shortcut up a hill to the nearest road out of the orchard. as we got near the top, i noticed it was rimmed with poison ivy. i gallantly picked my girl up and began to carry her uphill through it when i began to lose my footing. i kind of shot-putted her up onto the road as i rolled bsck downhill through the poisonous plants.

she wondered what the heck i was doing by tossing her onto her butt on a dirt road until i explained the situation.

still, until i got home, stripped down and showered, i got no lovin' for my knightly deed, lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

i'm the same with poisin ivy: no reaction at all, even in it's peak oily stage.

i remember going apple picking many years ago with my dw (gf at the time), and as we were headed back to the exit, we decided
to take a shortcut up a hill to the nearest road out of the orchard. as we got near the top, i noticed it was rimmed with poison ivy. i gallantly picked my girl up and began to carry her uphill through it when i began to lose my footing. i kind of shot-putted her up onto the road as i rolled bsck downhill through the poisonous plants.

she wondered what the heck i was doing by tossing her onto her butt on a dirt road until i explained the situation.

still, until i got home, stripped down and showered, i got no lovin' for my knightly deed, lol.
After drenching her in wine, smearing her with makeup, and throwing her in the road, I would say she's a keeper, BT! Or maybe you are! You have your soulmate!

Tags
tomatoes