Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cut it out of regular size tomatoes but I leave it on cherry or grape tomatoes.

I don't think it is poisonous or particularly tasty.

I notice some commercial canners leave it on and I try to remove those when I see them.

It reminds me of people telling me how wonderful french fries or potato salad is with the skins left on the potatoes. IMO that is a rumor being spread by lazy cooks! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
I must say that I like the skins left on oven baked jacket potatoes and on boiled "new" potatoes but not to thrilled with pot salad with the skins on.

I think I will continue cutting that part off of my tomatoes.

I love potatoes with the skin on though, my hubby doesn't but since I don't like to peel potatoes I leave them on whenever I make anything with them except potato salad.

I worked in a fine dinning restaurant in a country club where the members were owners. We catered several types of parties and served about 100 + members a day including Sunday brunch and lunch and dinner seven days a week. We sold hundreds of fried ''Latkey's'' [Potato Pancakes]. The Executive chef insisted we not peel the potatoes for time saving reasons. We washed them then ran them through a shredder[ A Buffalo chopper attachment] and made the ''Latkey's'' with shredded skins and all. The chef received many complaints and told us ''The Members will eat them my way, or take the highway''. He got fired for basically being lazy. He deserved it. I never served anything unpeeled ever again . Its just my preference mysterychef.

Last edited:
Since I like to do prep work, I peel my potatoes. I do like them with for baked potatoes. Peeling them for salad is so easy. I watched Jacques Pepin the other day. He boiled them with the skins. Then when it came to removing the skins he scraped them off instead of pulling the skins off. So I tried his method. Takes too long. It is much easier to pull off the peeling when the tater is warm. Cold, you do have to peel them. I leave the skins on for nutritional reasons.

And please, do not send me a baked tater that has been baked and wrapped in foil. All you are doing is steaming it, not baking it. I like my baked skin a little on the crisp side. So I rub my taters in olive oil for the flavor. I do eat the skins when baked. Otherwise, please peel them. Don't send me mashed with the skins on. Very unappealing to the eye. The skin makes them look dirty.

Since I have been cooking for so long, I can peel almost anything in one long unbroken strip. And since I got my serrated peeler, I can guarantee it. :angel:

Good observations and ideas. Lately I have been using an oxo Y shaped peeler. Seems to work fairly well. My wife likes to put potatoes [sweet & white] in the microwave and peel skins after they have cooled a while. I told a cook once to check to see if our foil wrapped baked potatoes were done. To peel back foil, and use a small paring knife to check for doneness. When sheet pans full of potatoes came out of the oven[about 50 pots] he pushed a hole through the foil with a fork. Potatoes were sent to customers with foil removed. After 3 portions came back with little chunks of foil inside [Yuk!] we had to throw them all away. I remember giving away a lot of fries that night. Not to mention the negative comment cards we got. Somehow I don't miss that part of cooking. mysterychef

Last edited:
I worked in a fine dinning restaurant in a country club where the members were owners. We catered several types of parties and served about 100 + members a day including Sunday brunch and lunch and dinner seven days a week. We sold hundreds of fried ''Latkey's'' [Potato Pancakes]. The Executive chef insisted we not peel the potatoes for time saving reasons. We washed them then ran them through a shredder[ A Buffalo chopper attachment] and made the ''Latkey's'' with shredded skins and all. The chef received many complaints and told us ''The Members will eat them my way, or take the highway''. He got fired for basically being lazy. He deserved it. I never served anything unpeeled ever again . Its just my preference mysterychef.

There are some dishes where the potato peel is not acceptable. Latkes are one of them. Sounds like the guy was a jerk.

Another food I don't like with the skin on is an apple pie. Please don't be like mysterychef's boss and be too lazy to do your food properly. I think we all know that there are a lot of nutrients in the outer layer of veggies and fruits, but we have come a long way from days of the caveman. If you want raves about your cooking, then make a nice presentation. Give your dish eye appeal. Give it flavor. And make it something that folks will want to eat again and again.

Food for thought. Have you ever opened a can of veggies or fruit with all the skins on? :angel:

There are some dishes where the potato peel is not acceptable. Latkes are one of them. Sounds like the guy was a jerk.

I make these, not because I'm Jewish, but because I love them. I use the peels with mine though. I love the peels. I think they add flavor.

Now, cooked apple peels are a different story. They must be peeled off of everything before baking or cooking with apples

Back
Top Bottom