Too Hot to BBQ/Grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes! I haven't grilled nearly as much this summer as I usually do. Partly because of the 110+ heat...it hasn't been any hotter than usual, but the older I get the less I can tolerate it. :( Also, since it's summer vacation and I have 6 grandchildren out of school, a few of them are here at any given time and we've been doing inside crafts where it's cool. Rock painting....:LOL:

My Weber charcoal grill lives on the backyard patio which is on the east side of the house so by the time afternoon hits, the sun is on the other side of the house. There's a sliding door between the kitchen and patio so everything is only a couple of steps away. I put everything I need on the patio table, bring out my music, phone, get my beer or wine, light the coals and don't walk away until the food is done and on a plate. I've ruined a couple of nice steaks before by walking away "just for a second".

I need to order one of those thermometers Kay posted, though. I've been wanting one for quite a while and have been forgetting about it. Thanks for the link Kay...I'm on it. :LOL:

If you do any long cooks on your Kettle, consider a dual probe remote for 20 bucks more. You can do a dual zone charcoal setup, and put one probe in the meat, and one probe at meat level in your kettle... and always have the remote with you showing both temperatures.

If the Kettle temp drops or spikes, you can make a quick adjustment to the bottom vent of your kettle, and go back inside to cook sides, or have a cold drink.

CD

If you do any long cooks on your Kettle, consider a dual probe remote for 20 bucks more. You can do a dual zone charcoal setup, and put one probe in the meat, and one probe at meat level in your kettle... and always have the remote with you showing both temperatures.

If the Kettle temp drops or spikes, you can make a quick adjustment to the bottom vent of your kettle, and go back inside to cook sides, or have a cold drink.

CD

Cheryl, look into the one Casey is suggesting. The inside heat of my propane grill stays consistent, unlike your charcoal kettle grill. If you want some really good eating, try a brined pork loin roast with indirect heat low and slow (250 or so) on your Weber until the meat temp is 135. Remove and rest it for 30 min. and it will be a perfect 145 degrees. :yum:
Juicy delicious!!
We've been getting pork loin on sale for $1.85 lb. That's a lot less than ground beef and certainly a better buy than our beloved Tri Tip.

Last edited:
Cheryl, look into the one Casey is suggesting. The inside heat of my propane grill stays consistent, unlike your charcoal kettle grill. If you want some really good eating, try a brined pork loin roast with indirect heat low and slow (250 or so) on your Weber until the meat temp is 135. Remove and rest it for 30 min. and it will be a perfect 145 degrees. :yum:
Juicy delicious!!
We've been getting pork loin on sale for $1.85 lb. That's a lot less than ground beef and certainly a better buy than our beloved Tri Tip.

Oh yeah, if you cook lean cuts, like pork loin, on a Kettle, definitely brine it overnight. It makes a big difference. Toss some fresh rosemary into the brine, while you are at it.

Tri-tip is hard to find where I live, but pork loin is easy to find, and pretty cheap.

Oh, and since I have both charcoal and gas Webers, Cheryl is right -- the gasser is easier to keep at a steady heat. I have to fiddle with my Kettle more, but in the end, I do like the smokey flavor of charcoal and hardwood. But, pork loin doesn't need to cook very long, so I often cook in the gasser.

For short cooks, I don't use both probes on my Maverick dual-probe remote thermometer. Especially on the gasser. I only use the meat probe. On long cooks on the Kettle with charcoal and wood, I use both probes, because the temps can run away on you without notice.

CD

Last edited:
I keep the grill a few steps from the slider, but that's so I can grill through the winter. The patio is on the east side of the house, so it's shady in the summer. I can handle 90 in the shade.

I would like to get a new grill - one with burners running front to back (not side to side like my grill), and also with a side burner. However, my Weber Silver, which I've had since the mid-90's, is still working great, and I can't get myself to replace a perfectly good grill. I've replaced the grates a couple of times, but that's it. The Weber replaced a cheapie which only lasted a couple of years.

I'll put in a plug for Thermoworks as a company. I had an issue with a Time Stick Trio, and was very impressed with the response from customer service, especially for such an inexpensive product (turned out to be a weak battery). I really like my ThermoPop thermometer, and have gifted a few of them.

Last month my daughter's neighbor had her grill on her back porch really close to wall of her home. With 90ºF temps here, needless to say the added heat from her grill against that back wall was a disaster just waiting to happen. And sure enough, it did. Fortunately they had the good sense to have a fire extinguisher on hand. But they still needed the assistance of the fire dept. They are located about two blocks from where my daughter lives. So they arrive, tear off a great big chunks of siding, much to the protests of the owners. Sure enough, the fire had started to look for an easy place to burn.

So to you grillers, in this heat, please pull your grills away from the side of your home. Feel the siding of your home. If it feels more warm than it should, you know the grill is just too close to your home. Enjoy your grilling experience, but enjoy your home even more.

Because the fire was due to the stupidity of the owners, they now have to pay for half the bill of having the fire dept. come.

Joel, you may want to look into an electric outdoor grill. They aren't as expensive to buy as a propane and Ross is happy with his new one.

Yes I am... I'm fully aware that the unit isn't correct for all the wonderful things which can be done with a standard grill but, for simple grilling of chicken, pork and beef, along with vegetables, etc., its great to have..

I went 4 years with no place to grill in our Cali apartment and this complex allows no gas or fire so, electric is great, for me..

Ross

I have a cheap electric smoker and a gas grill. I've used both, though not as much as I usually do. July was hot - several days topped 100° - but the last couple of weeks have been more moderate. Yesterday was only about 80°, today is 85°, and we don't hit 90 for the remainder of the week. It's good week for some grilling.

I smoked a pork butt on Saturday - 8 hours, but only had to go out to check on it every couple of hours or so (didn't really matter as the temp was only in the low 80's). Once to add more wood chips and then after 6 hours to start checking the meat temp. I just jab it with my Thermapen, then don't have to go out for another hour.

I think I'm going to grill zucchini tomorrow - tonight is golf league or it would happen today. The garden has been quite productive this year, with zucchini and yellow squash gone crazy. Since we have far more than we can possibly eat, we have been giving it away to anyone who wants it. Still have several large ones sitting on the kitchen counter right now, with more yet to come.

Last month my daughter's neighbor had her grill on her back porch really close to wall of her home. With 90ºF temps here, needless to say the added heat from her grill against that back wall was a disaster just waiting to happen. And sure enough, it did. Fortunately they had the good sense to have a fire extinguisher on hand. But they still needed the assistance of the fire dept. They are located about two blocks from where my daughter lives. So they arrive, tear off a great big chunks of siding, much to the protests of the owners. Sure enough, the fire had started to look for an easy place to burn.

So to you grillers, in this heat, please pull your grills away from the side of your home. Feel the siding of your home. If it feels more warm than it should, you know the grill is just too close to your home. Enjoy your grilling experience, but enjoy your home even more.

Because the fire was due to the stupidity of the owners, they now have to pay for half the bill of having the fire dept. come.

Any kind of cooking requires common sense. Do you actually need to warn the grillers here about doing something so stupid?:ermm:

Any kind of cooking requires common sense. Do you actually need to warn the grillers here about doing something so stupid?:ermm:
I witnessed that very thing happen to a friend who is very grill experienced and very well educated so, yes, a reminder is a good thing for most of us... :)

Even we non-stupid make an error, now and then... ;)

Ross

I witnessed that very thing happen to a friend who is very grill experienced and very well educated so, yes, a reminder is a good thing for most of us... :)

Even we non-stupid make an error, now and then... ;)

Ross

I have a relative that discovered if your grill is too close the the house, the vinyl siding will melt.

My house is brick, so it doesn't matter. On my trips up North, I see a lot of vinyl siding. Seems like a big-time fire hazard, to me.

Down here, you have to be careful not to catch your wooden deck on fire. :ohmy:

Brick house, concrete patio... I think I'm okay.

CD

When I had my first house, I put the new gas grill up near it and almost melted the siding. I caught it in time and moved the grill a few feet away, but I did manage to make a nice soot/grease stain on the siding that was really tough to scrub off. Even if you have brick, unless you don't mind a black staining, move the grill away, or at least perpendicular to the house or shed (so long as there's no side burner).

When we were house shopping a few years ago, I noticed several houses had warped spots in the siding in back, often on the deck, including the house we ended up buying. I knew exactly where it came from, but the previous owner denied the grill mistake and saidit wasfrom the sun. Yeah, ok.

Getting back to grilling weather, or whether not to grill, it was 90+ out today with life sapping humidity, but I managed to make sausage, onions, and a roasted pepper.

Attachments

• 0807181741b_HDR.jpg
    0807181741b_HDR.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 116
I have a relative that discovered if your grill is too close the the house, the vinyl siding will melt.
My Father-in-law did that to our second house in OH. He thought he was doing us a favor by starting the grill...where it was parked, against the house. "Well how did I know?" :glare: I guess Himself got his brains from his Mom's side of the family. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately I live in the north bay in California. The fires are really affecting everyone. As much as I love to grill, I am within 30 miles of the Mendocino Complex fFire. I will not grill till after it’s out. Just too much smoke.

That being said, I would grill 5 days a week if I could ... veggies, beans,breads, meat etc.

Mark

Unfortunately I live in the north bay in California. The fires are really affecting everyone. As much as I love to grill, I am within 30 miles of the Mendocino Complex fFire. I will not grill till after it’s out. Just too much smoke.

That being said, I would grill 5 days a week if I could ... veggies, beans,breads, meat etc.

Mark
Thirty miles is not a very big distance when raging, uncontrolled fires are concerned. I currently don’t have access to tv news, though, so I don’t know how this particular fire is behaving, or how close it is to being controlled.

Please be safe. “Thoughts and prayers” has become an unwelcome phrase, from overuse by insincere pundits and politicians, but I offer both to you and your loved ones, sincerely.

I’ve had to resort to using a fire extinguisher in my kitchen once. The fire, which thankfully damaged nothing except an ill-placed pot holder, was a result of my inattention. Anyone can use an occasional reminder about safety in the kitchen, or on the patio, or in the backyard or campground, regardless of their experience and skill level.

Had my daughter's neighbor not caught the beginning for her fire, my daughter would have lost her home also. The homes in this area are extremely close. If they each reached out a side window together, they could easily shake hands.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom