"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2018, 03:57 AM   #41
Head Chef

It was about 15 years ago when I was reading The Wall Street Journal, and I started laughing out loud. Mrs. T looked over at me and asked what I was reading that was so funny in that paper. It was in November, around the time of the deep fried turkey craze. They ran an article about how many people, mostly guys, set their houses on fire in the process. The firefighters they interviewed had some pretty good stories. I still have the image in my mind about the guy who didn't allow for how much hot oil the turkey would displace, and immediately sent flames up the side of his two story house when he put the turkey in the pot, spilling hot oil on the burner.

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:54 AM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
It was about 15 years ago when I was reading The Wall Street Journal, and I started laughing out loud. Mrs. T looked over at me and asked what I was reading that was so funny in that paper. It was in November, around the time of the deep fried turkey craze. They ran an article about how many people, mostly guys, set their houses on fire in the process. The firefighters they interviewed had some pretty good stories. I still have the image in my mind about the guy who didn't allow for how much hot oil the turkey would displace, and immediately sent flames up the side of his two story house when he put the turkey in the pot, spilling hot oil on the burner.
You just can't fix stupid!

Old 08-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I have participated in the deep frying of a few turkeys, and those involved with me have always been extremely sensitive to the dangers. It has always been while camping, and we always set up away from anything important, and always had a plan for if things went terribly wrong.

That said, the turkeys were always really good.

CD
Old 08-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
You just can't fix stupid!

Exactly!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
This summer has been abnormally hot..so much, that it has been uncomfortable to stay outside for long periods..I just realized that I haven't cooked out doors much. With the air con on indoors, I've been choosing to cook more indoor stuff, using the oven and range..funny how that works..
It seems the hotter it gets the more I tend to use my gas grill. When the outside temp gets tolerable I do like using my charcoal grills and smoker. My family prefers me to cook outside rather than heating up the house. Funny, it is summer and we have been mostly eating salads with grilled chicken, steaks, chops... and it is nice eating but after a few months now I am looking forward to soups and sautes.
chessplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I actually enjoy cooking outdoors during our winter months here.
Winter cooking to summer cooking: 3 to 1

Same here, RF. I also grill pretty much all year, but the cooler months are so much more pleasant to be outside.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Cheryl, look into the one Casey is suggesting. The inside heat of my propane grill stays consistent, unlike your charcoal kettle grill. If you want some really good eating, try a brined pork loin roast with indirect heat low and slow (250 or so) on your Weber until the meat temp is 135. Remove and rest it for 30 min. and it will be a perfect 145 degrees.
Juicy delicious!!
We've been getting pork loin on sale for $1.85 lb. That's a lot less than ground beef and certainly a better buy than our beloved Tri Tip.

Thanks to both of you! Will do...I think I'll order that little guy. Thanks for the brined pork loin roast tips, Kay. Burgers and bone in rib eye I've pretty much got down (about 6 minutes for a 1 1/2 inch thick med rare rib eye, LOL), but it would really come in handy for a little more unpredictable tri tip, and a pork loin.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #48
Wine Guy

I eat a lot of cold food - salads, and what not - during the summer. This year, I've also been using the sous vide quite a bit more. I like it because I can have my steak or chops already pre-cooked and then I only have to throw them on the gas grill for about a minute to finish them off. It also doesn't heat up the house.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Last night wasn't that hot; just muggy.

Extra plain (just s&p), very thick chicken breasts on the grill last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0809181727c_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	30973  
Old 08-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm excited to go to my wife's friend's old house to pick up a used and slightly abused 7 year old Weber Silver Genesis 3 burner grill tomorrow morning on the way home.

She was going to throw it out, but I looked at it and all it needs is new burners, flavorizer bars, and a good cleaning. I was also thinking about upgrading the grates to stainless steel.

It should be like new with just $150 in parts, and elbow grease.

Tags
bbq, grill