Too Hot to BBQ/Grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
This summer has been abnormally hot..so much, that it has been uncomfortable to stay outside for long periods..I just realized that I haven't cooked out doors much. With the air con on indoors, I've been choosing to cook more indoor stuff, using the oven and range..funny how that works..

Just the opposite for us. It's been hot here too but my gas grill is right outside the slider on the deck. I pop in and out to start and clean the grill then to periodically attend to the food.

Just the opposite for us. It's been hot here too but my gas grill is right outside the slider on the deck. I pop in and out to start and clean the grill then to periodically attend to the food.
Yeah..here, too..maybe I'm not in the mood for grilled meats that much..I have only used the charcoal grill once this year and that was earlier in the spring..I have used the gas grill once a week, but not much lately..

I hear you Roch! Wish I had your set up Andy.

My grill is down some stairs from my back door, so it's not so easy. Thankfully the grill is in the shade, and I've been known to soak tea towels in ice water and drape my head and shoulders with them. It's sure not pretty but it helps.

I've recently done long indirect cooks/smokes of pork loins and turkey roast, and my probe thermometer has been a godsend. I put the temp indicator where I can see it from the back door window.
I'll be so glad when the heat is tolerable as there's nothing I enjoy more than my little day camp while I grill.

I just use my Weber charcoal grill for smoking and feel obligated to babysit it as I am in a condo development with little kids around. They haven't been a problem but the one time I'm not there...

I've smoked a rack of ribs once and have a pork butt in the freezer.

Thankfully, DH is not as affected by the heat as I am, so he has been doing most of the grilling. Our grill is also a few steps down from the back door, on the patio. I love grilled food in the summer, including veggies and fruits as well as meat :yum:

This summer has been abnormally hot..so much, that it has been uncomfortable to stay outside for long periods..I just realized that I haven't cooked out doors much. With the air con on indoors, I've been choosing to cook more indoor stuff, using the oven and range..funny how that works..
I haven’t used my grill once this summer. It’s too danged hot, and fussing with charcoals for an hour just to cook a steak or a burger just doesn’t make sense. Probably not too good for me either, considering the daytime highs are between 110° and 115° everyday. Next major cooking thing I get is a gas grill! Even if it’s a cheapy.

Well, you would never grill/BBQ in any summer if you lived next door to me. :LOL:

The trick is to wait until later in the day, as the sun is setting. If you can avoid the direct sun, it is much more tolerable.

Have all your food prepped inside, and only go out to the grill or smoker as much as you need to. Mise en place indoors, cook outdoors.

A good supply of ice-cold beer also helps. :yum:

It is 8PM here in Texas, and if I were to grill tonight, I'd do it around now. It is still hot outside, but there is no direct sunlight on my patio. But, there is enough skylight to see what I am doing.

If I am doing a long cook, like smoking ribs, I have a good remote thermometer that tells me the meat temp and the cooking chamber temp. I can cook for five hours, and only go outside in the 100F weather five minutes at a time.

CD

I am with Andy. My AC goes wide open here in GA during the hot summer months. I too have a grill just two steps outside the AC, so we chose to grill rather than heat up the kitchen. Love it

Last edited:
I haven’t used my grill once this summer. It’s too danged hot, and fussing with charcoals for an hour just to cook a steak or a burger just doesn’t make sense. Probably not too good for me either, considering the daytime highs are between 110° and 115° everyday. Next major cooking thing I get is a gas grill! Even if it’s a cheapy.

Nooooooo! If you buy a cheapy, be prepared to buy another one every few years. My Weber Genesis was made in 2001. It still works like a champ, and is outside 24/7/365. Find a Genesis used on Craigslist that is not very old and in good shape. It will be half the price of a new one, and will last a long, long time. If you need parts, Weber's 800-number customer service is awesome, and they have parts for 30-year-old grills in-stock.

End of shameless plug. :D

CD

I have been doing quite a bit of BBQing and grilling so far this summer, even when it is stinkin hot and humid outside.

This passed weekend I grilled steaks on Saturday and did ribs and a fatty Sunday.

For a remote thermometer I picked up a Fireboard and love it.

I have been doing quite a bit of BBQing and grilling so far this summer, even when it is stinkin hot and humid outside.

This passed weekend I grilled steaks on Saturday and did ribs and a fatty Sunday.

For a remote thermometer I picked up a Fireboard and love it.

That is very similar to one of Maverick Industries units. They have smartPhone connected thermometers, too. I'm sure they are both good.

CD

That reminds me...a couple years ago I got a propane fire. It's supposed to be a campfire when you can't use wood or there's a burn ban or something. You hook it up to a propane tank and away you go. It's got those little rocks you put in it to make it look like a real campfire.

Anyway, I'd forgotten it comes with two hot dog forks, so I assume I can cook over the flame. Does anyone know if I could grill over it if I got a metal grill to put over the flames?

I'd look at the instructions in the box, but that's buried under four other boxes.

Yes! I haven't grilled nearly as much this summer as I usually do. Partly because of the 110+ heat...it hasn't been any hotter than usual, but the older I get the less I can tolerate it. :( Also, since it's summer vacation and I have 6 grandchildren out of school, a few of them are here at any given time and we've been doing inside crafts where it's cool. Rock painting....:LOL:

My Weber charcoal grill lives on the backyard patio which is on the east side of the house so by the time afternoon hits, the sun is on the other side of the house. There's a sliding door between the kitchen and patio so everything is only a couple of steps away. I put everything I need on the patio table, bring out my music, phone, get my beer or wine, light the coals and don't walk away until the food is done and on a plate. I've ruined a couple of nice steaks before by walking away "just for a second".

I need to order one of those thermometers Kay posted, though. I've been wanting one for quite a while and have been forgetting about it. Thanks for the link Kay...I'm on it. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom