Too many chilis - how to cool it down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diggityDawg

Assistant Cook
I made some Tom Ka Gai (Thai coconut soup) tonight that is perfect except I used too many chili's and it's just too hot to eat. Is there anything I can add to cool it down? I've tried putting more chicken broth and coconut milk in but that didn't seem to help at all...

Thanks!

Eddie

Adding more of the other ingredients is the only option you have. If you feel adding more of the other ingredients will be too costly then I would stop and count your losses and start over.

Yeah I agree, adding more of the other ingredients (like chicken broth and coconut milk you mentioned) is the only option, or the chicken pieces itself or any vegetables you have in the dish.
Also, eat with more steamed rice, that should help I hope!

Unfortunately - when you put too much of anything (salt, pepper, chilies, garlic, vinegar, etc) into a dish all you can do to salvage it is to dilute it ... and if you got really heavy handed that could be a lot to tame it down!

I agree with Saraaaaa ... you can certainly dilute your soup with a big dish of rice.

:)

Thanks for the advice. Fortunately I can handle the heat with just a little extra coconut milk added, but my wife can't. I'll try the rice suggestion and see if it's palatable for her. She loves the flavor, just can't take the heat.

Thanks again for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom