Too many condiments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I have too many condiments in my refrigerator! From sauces and dressings to types of mustard and ice cream toppings--the fridge is 2/3 full and I can barely fit food in there. How do you reduce your condiments to a managable size so you can cook again?
I'm ready to cook and get most of it cleared out and clear the fridge, what suggestions do you have?~bliss

First of all, check the expiration dates. That should clear out half of them.
Second, Check to see if any of them smell bad.
Third, if you can't remember the last time you used it, toss it.

That should do the trick.

I second that :chicken:

On expiration dates, I went through this not too long ago in a club kitchen.

Many condiments can go for years before becoming dangerous to consume.

Thats a coin I choose not to toss.

I found most dates on condiments are sell by dates.

When I came across a sell by date that was too far in the past I would toss it. There were sell by dates well over a year in the past in the clubs kitchen.

Just going by that rule of thumb I was able to pretty much clear out the fridge.

i'll bet all of them don't require refrigeration anyway, and prob some could be frozen.

I have a similar problem right now, blissful. I've got bottles of stuff that I bought because it sounded good, and then found that I hardly used it. Your post has inspired me to get into the refrigerator and GET RID of this stuff that is just taking up room.

If it looks funky - toss it.

If it has an Expiration date and it is past that - toss it.

If it has a Best By date and it's 3 months or more past that and has been opened - toss it.

If it has a Sell By date and it's past that - and has been opened for 3 months or more - toss it.

If it's been opened and you haven't used it in the past 6 months (even if within the Expiration, Best By or Sell By dates) - I would toss it.

If it's just a "dab" and you rarely use it ... use it up or toss it.

If it contains fat (oil) and is over a year old - toss it.

That should get you down to one shelf in the refrigerator door. ;)

He did, however, give the OP good advice on clearing out her "stuff". :chef: I don't keep that many condiments - I swear - :ermm:
In the words of Ron White, with one tiny substitution "We have condiments and we aren't afraid to use them." I use mine, albeit sparingly, and am afraid to toss for fear I won't be able to afford more when I need them.

I go by "if it smells bad, toss it" and that seems to work well for me.

I too am guilty of Condiment Hoarding. They get tossed when I can't
remember what they were for..... ;)

In the words of Ron White, with one tiny substitution "We have condiments and we aren't afraid to use them." I use mine, albeit sparingly, and am afraid to toss for fear I won't be able to afford more when I need them.

I go by "if it smells bad, toss it" and that seems to work well for me.

I know exactly what you mean - I have a bottle of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce that it takes an act of a higher power to get the lid off - it still tastes great and I refuse to throw it away!

Have you ever tried Salsa Lezano/Lazano (South American)? I'm not at home so I don't know if that's spelled correctly. That's one that I kept for amost 2 years without "fear". I figured the little bit I used wouldn't hurt too badly :LOL:

Another one that haunts my fridge if Tonkatzu or Tonkatsu sauce (Japanese) - EXCELLENT on an omelet made of mushrooms, Virginia ham, red onions, and colby or mozzarella...or any omelet for that matter!

I'm in "stock everyone's fridge with condiment" mode :LOL:

Me, too! My whole fridge door is chock full of condiments, all of them good. What makes it even worse is that I am moving the end of this month and cannot take most of them with me. Worse yet: where I live, most people don't even know what these strange things are--ponzu, sriracha, hoisin, etc. What to do?

He did, however, give the OP good advice on clearing out her "stuff". :chef: I don't keep that many condiments - I swear - :ermm:
You swear? Am I supposed to believe you? :rolleyes:

Maybe I should have posted over in 'Please help me use up these ingredients'.......listing all my condiments. Condiment soups? Condiment casseroles.
My favorite signature line....someone here has it....practice safe lunch, use a condiment.

Rachael Ray has a feature on her daytime show where she takes condiment bottles and jelly/preserve jars that are almost empty and combines them into sauces or glazes, maybe for pasta or grilled meats or veggies. A few tbsp. of 3 or 4 different flavors will make a yummy new flavor :) Or maybe not, but it could be fun to experiment!

OK, it was a big fat lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-p:angel:

GotGarlic - I bet something like orange marmalade and sriracha would make a great little glaze on some ribs or chicken - maybe even on scallops/seafood!!!

That does sound good. And a splash of soy sauce for salty flavor would balance it out :chef:

Our new refrigerator has a freezer drawer on the bottom, and a large shelf in the door for milk and soft drinks. That means I have a lot less room in the refrigerator door for condiments, and must use half my bottom shelf in the fridge for them.
That works out fine, though, because it keeps me from hoarding condiments. They either get used or thrown out.

I had the same problem once and did this, except the week after I didn't buy any condiments and forced the family to use the existing stuff, they'll always leave half a bottle and want a new one ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom