"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Too much garlic

I have a lot of garlic and I'm wondering what the best way to keep it would be. I have a nice, cool, dark area of my basement to keep it, but I need to do something with it soon, as I've had it for a couple of months and it's beginning to show its age. I'm not going to freeze the raw cloves, as I know (from experience) that they are disgusting when thawed. I am an experienced canner and will not can it due to the botulism risk. The only thing I can think of doing is to roast it, spread it into a paste with olive oil and freeze it in a sheet from which I can break off pieces to add to recipes. Any thoughts?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Head Chef

We frezze a lot of garlic. We chop it up almost to a paste wrap in plastic, put it in an air tight container and freeze.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Head Chef

I freeze garlic in whole heads. The color darkens, but the flavor remains the same.

I also think they will keep a while if strung and hung
Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I vote for a cool dark place with air circulation. Perhaps a wire basket or a mesh bag in the cellar.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Master Chef

I, too, have an excess of garlic at the time. Husband is roasting some as I type. If it looks like it is going south, I'm going to do just what you mentioned, roast then freeze. If you can or do other freezing, just buy (or if you, like me, grow) a lot of tomatoes and make lots of garlicky Italian red sauce or Mexican red sauce/salsa to freeze or can. Luckily, all of my friends and family believe there's no such thing as too much garlic!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

Puree the garlic and mix with butter then freeze. You can add this too meat, fish, chicken and veggies etc. Add a few chopped herbs too if liked.
You could also dry the garlic in slices in a food dehydrator and use as is or grind the dry slices to make garlic powder.
If you add some olive oil to crushed garlic before freezing it will defrost better.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Thanks all!

It is stored in a cool, dark place now. But like everything, even root vegetables, it's reaching the end of its life. You can store it only so long. I need to do something with it.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I vote for a cool dark place with air circulation. Perhaps a wire basket or a mesh bag in the cellar.
The leg of a pair of pantyhose makes a perfect "sleeve" for hanging storage in a cellar.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Thanks all!

It is stored in a cool, dark place now. But like everything, even root vegetables, it's reaching the end of its life. You can store it only so long. I need to do something with it.
Roast it all off, pack into small mason jars, cover with good oil, and can like you would anything else. Always nice to have some roasted garlic on hand.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Give some to the neighbors.

Tags
garlic