"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 11-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Question Too much heat

Jude's leftover refrigerator surprise soup - the poblanos and other things incorporated too much heat - how can I tone it down. I like it but is too much for DH.

JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Diluting works best. Figure out what would taste good and gradually add some. If that works, fine. There may be other flavors you have on hand that would also taste good.

Without knowing the general flavor, I can only suggest possibles like: tomato juice, water, milk, etc.

I'd like to hear how this one comes out.

What's in DH's refrigerator soup?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
Yup, dilute.

Make another batch with not heat, same size or half size, and combine.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Head Chef
Yep. Poblanos can be sneaky, varying in heat from batch to batch. Not much to do that's worth doing. Same as the perennial question about to much salt.

Well, there are some things you can try, if you think the salvage job is worth it. One is to add fat, meaning mostly yogurt, sour cream and such, those being things that can usually reasonably be added to soups. The hot part is soluble in fat, which those things have, which is why you drink milk, not water, when you get into overly hot peppers. (But don't use non-fat or low fat, of course). At the same time, adding sugar and/or acid is said to help. It's also said that adding potato or pasta helps, but I suspect the real reason is that you generally have to add water, too, and that's what dilutes the heat.
"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Not sure what you started with, but I would add potatoes, evaporated milk or half&half and a chunk of cream cheese and call it chowder.
Bookbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
Sous Chef
V8 Worked

Since it was a leftover dump soup I couldn't make another batch but adding V8 and putting a Dollop of yogurt on it when serving worked out OK. Serving cornbread with it may have helped too. Now I wish I had written down the ingredients to make it again. Thanks for the input!

JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote