Too much left-over ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chesterchippy

Senior Cook
I bought way too much ham for Easter. We've had it for dinner 3 days, and there's ham & lentil soup tonight. Can I freeze the rest of the ham with good results or should I cook it in dishes that freeze better?

Chesterchippy, bot do I ever know what you are going through!! I cooked a 10lb ham for 4 people & I've got leftovers out the wazoo!! I have frozen cooked ham with good results so that's what I'm getting ready to do with what we've got left. I'm tired of eating it.:rolleyes:

It freezes fine, and you don't have to make up dishes first. I would parcel it out into 'meal size' packages, and freeze. Freeze the bone, too, for some great soup!

I buy 10 pounds of cooked ham at a time (on the bone), chop it up and freeze it in bag's, dropping little bits into a pot of beans here or a fried rice there. I've never encountered any loss in quality and I mean I SUCK at freezing stuff (it's just in tied up shopping backs).

I've also frozen ham. I'd advise making meal size portions and don't freeze for more than a couple of months.

I like to buy a good-sized Dearborn Ham (with bone) from my boss about once a year. I slice most of it into slices, and package it into 8 oz portions, then freeze. Some of it gets cut into large dice for beans, and frozen. I usually leave one good-sized chunk for baking.

The sliced ham usually gets used for sandwiches, diced finely for omelettes, or diced finely for Jambalaya. That is, as long as the older boys don't find it and eat it out-of-hand.

Yummy leftover ham

:) Oh yeah! Freeze that Ham! Put in individual ziplock freezer bags. I use mine in beans (all kinds). and Scallopped Potatoes and ham, Macaroni and cheese casseroles, Cabbage and Ham (yummy). Theres bunches of stuff to use your frozen ham for. If you would like my recipes for these ' just let me know!

A few years ago for Easter we asked the butcher for a fresh ham. He made special efforts to find one.:)

Silly us, we should have specified a half ham but when he presented us with a 17 lb full ham, :ohmy: , we did not have the heart to tell him we wanted only half.

Were so stunned at the idea of 17 lb of ham for just the two of us, didn't ask him to cut it in two. So purchased a hacksaw and did the job ourselves.

Cooked most of it and used it in any way we could imagine.

Finally just froze a bunch which worked fine.

Cured ham freezes even better. It's very hard for the two of us to use even a small half ham without freezing some. And when we can find cottage rolls, not common around here, we stock up and freeze them. Never had a problem and the stuff tastes great when defrosted.

I froze mine using my new food saver and it tasted like it was just baked.I was very pleased with it since I've never used the food saver before.

Terrific. I feel much better now. An 8 lb. ham was tons for 4 people - Crewsk understands. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I've frozen ham and it tastes fine . I've used leftover for fritatta, pea soup, casseroles and ham salad.

Back
Top Bottom