"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
Mr. Greenjeans

This will sound crazy and sacreligious to some, potato flakes. Added directly to sauce will thicken and the blandness will tone down the sweetness.

The thickening will allow you to add a liquid to counter and that will also tone down the sweetness.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I've had this happen so I make sure to taste as I go. First if it is a little sweet I take out some of the sauce and add some anchovies to it along with some tomato frome a tube. Squeeze some of the tomato to the anchovie and tomatoe sauce this usually helps I often add a little veggie or beef broth as well.
I also cook it about 45 min more.at a low slow simmer
kadesma

Old 10-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriabc View Post
You don't have to have sugar in your pasta sauce. Brown meat (if desired) with onions, green pepper(optional) and mushrooms (optional). Add 2 cans of Tomoto sauce, 1 can of canned diced tomatos (optional), 1 -2 tea basil, 1/2 tb oregano, 1/2 tsp garlic or more, little cayenne, pinch of ground cloves, salt, pepper. Red Wine is good too. Simmer for 45 minutes. Feta cheese and parmesan on top.
<-- was thinking to himself "why would you put sugar in a pasta sauce?"

My base pasta sauce is a dozen fresh tomatoes (chopped) with a 750 mL bottle of Burgundy (or Cab Sav, if you prefer), three cans of tomato paste, couple of fine-chopped onions and green peppers, and a cup of what I like to call "semi-somme" - which is my super-concentrated beef stock, not quite clear enough to call consomme, but is a gel at 45 degrees or less. Season as desired, whatever your grandma taught you, but leave the sugar out. Simmer for about, eh, all day. Overnight is better. If you like meat in your sauce, add that about 2 hours before you plan to serve.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

How much was too much?

If it's just a wee bit, try this:- Seive all the solids and keep to one side. Put the liquid back on the stove and reduce by half. Then add a tin of tomatoes and cook off again. Adjust seasoning then add the solids back to the pan. works for me. You may not have the original flavour you were looking for, but you will have an edible sauce.

BTW, re. potatoes soaking up salt. This also works for me.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
Head Chef

I've never had much luck trying to reduce a flavor once the flavor is added to a dish. My advice is to chuck the sauce and chalk it up to education.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

First, sugar should not be used, sweetness comes from tomato. Some sicilian recepies uses sugar but it's a special dish (pasta con le sarde).
There is a rule about sugar, to reduce sweet (to a limit) use salt and vinagre.
Theese are the three basic feeling of palat, sweetness, acidity and salt.
Saying that, not always salt means salt, it could be something with a salty taste.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Chef View Post
First, sugar should not be used, sweetness comes from tomato. Some sicilian recepies uses sugar but it's a special dish (pasta con le sarde).
There is a rule about sugar, to reduce sweet (to a limit) use salt and vinagre.
Theese are the three basic feeling of palat, sweetness, acidity and salt.
Saying that, not always salt means salt, it could be something with a salty taste.
I agree that sugar is generally not needed in tomato sauce, but Americans are sort of used to jarred sauce that has added sugar.

There are 5 taste sensations detectable on your palate: sweet, salty, sour, bitter and savory (umami).
Old 01-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Yes sorry forgot the bitter and the umami (glutammic acid), being the sour what I called acid to relate to vinager.
Anyway as far as perception, bitter and unami are not compensated by anything, what is bitter remains bitter. While the other three are changing in perception of proportion when one increases the other decreases.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubspeace View Post
HELP...how can i tone done the too much sugar flavor i have created... ugh ???

Nubspeace
Add more of everything else to tone it down
Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #20
Cook

i made some tomato sauce and gave a jar to my mom, who usually uses "ragu" or other store sauce. she said it was " too sweet" for her

i didnt add any sugar to it and to me it taste less sweet than a "sauce" like ragu and when i look at the label on ragu its got quite a bit of sugar in it

Tags
fix, pasta, sauce, sugar, sweet