"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
Head Chef

Thanks GB -

Old 02-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
I made a lovely split pea soup but its simply too salty,... Its not aggressively salty, just more that I personally like and was wondering how anyone else would deal with it.
FYI Ingredients were: red onion, carrots, celery, yellow split peas, powdered vegatable stock and thats it! Simple huh?
Lulu - I think the problem was the powdered veg. stock. I also do not know how much water you added, but that is secondary; you can always evaporate the water.

Try this method:

Melt some butter in the pan. add the onions, and fry gently until the onions wilt. Add the carrots and celery, and cook for 2 minutes. Now add the split peas, cook for another minute, and add a 1/2 tsp sea salt, and the water - cover the vegetables and add another 2 inches of water, at least. Bring to the boil, and simmer for about 20 minutes. The split peas will have absorbed lots of water, so you can add more, half a cup at a time. Cook for another 6-8 minutes, then taste. You'll probably need more salt, so add a little more. Add more water, because you don't want a solid soup! When the peas are cooked (a wild guess would be 30-40 minutes), taste again. Look at the texture, too - if it's too thick, you'll need more water. Keep going AND tasting until your soup is the right texture and saltiness.
The vegetables will release their natural salts, so the veg stock is irrelevant, for me. Taste again, then, just before serving, add a knob of butter, which will add a velvety texture to the soup.
Now you can add a few fresh, chopped herbs, ( I love coriander with this soup) or a pinch of curry powder, or a "tarka" - quick fried, thinly sliced onions in butter, with a 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.

Let us know, ok?

Old 02-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #13
Head Chef

I agree the culprit is probably the vegetable stock powder. Learned the hard way always to taste any type of powder, cubes, or base before adding it to anything.

Again all you can do is dilute it.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I pretty much make mine the way clive does, but I'm more impatient and add more water sooner.

I also like a nice smoked ham hock in there to liven things up.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
Head Chef

Thanks all, yep, having made a cup of the stock powder up to taste it was that that was the culprit, and Clive, I'll try your methed next time. I usually make mine with ham too, but wanted something non meaty today, just to be awkward.

In the end, padding it out with carrots and lots of frozen peas did the job quite well and had I been bread dunking it would have done even better, but the whole point was to have a non meat non bread comforting food meal! Thanks everyone, I love it so much that there is always someone to help on the spot here :)
Old 02-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, I would have been on the list of those people that would have suggested add lemon. It may have brightened the flavor in the beginning but eventually it would have toned down. Glad you could salvage it lulu - that's the most important thing!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #17
Executive Chef

the only thing to do is what you did, add more plain unsalted stock or water and veggies. Potato doesn't "soak up salt" but if unsalted it helps mitigate saltiness as would any vegetable added to the soup base (assuming you chop it up and cook it in the soup etc.)
Old 02-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Toots that is actually an old wives tale. Check out this page.
Don't know about this. Regardless of research/testing, etc.

Recently I had a bit of a problem with too much salt in my broth. I peeled some russet potatoes and cut them into 1/4-inch slices and added them to the pot.

I'm a raw potato eater and had a couple of bites before I added them to my broth. No salt taste at all. After about 20 minutes in the pot, I removed the potato slices. They were very salty-tasting and my broth was noticeably less salty. Just my experience for what it's worth.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Yes the potatoes do soak up salt but not selectively. Think of what would happen if you put a sponge in the soup and tasted the sponge. It would taste salty as well. It soaks up salt, but it does not only pull salt out. The concentration of salt in the soup remains the same.

The only way to make something less salty is to dilute the mixture.

That being said, if it works for you Katie then keep doing it
Old 02-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Toots that is actually an old wives tale. Check out this page.
That was pretty interesting!! It makes sense now that I read it!! Thanks for the link!!