Top of Pizza Burning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I used the regular bake setting at 450 deg. and noticed no fans were running during the process. The crust cooked perfectly.

My advise is to stay away from the Bake->Stone setting on the wolf ovens. Further reading of the manual found that it should only be used with their proprietary baking stone. Even if this is true, the fans do kick on with this setting and probably were the reason the cheese cooked so fast and turned brown. With the bake setting no fans turned on at all. (i.e. no convection effect)

Thanks to all that responded.

Thanks for reporting back your results. Interesting that their proprietary stone works differently! I do find that Wolf ovens cook rather quickly after having almost overcooking a 25-lb turkey for thanksgiving... I believe it cooked in under 3 hours at 325!!

First of all get rid of the Pampered Chef stone. Sorry

to all you fans out there but you need to heat the stone to as hot as your oven will go. I have a generic PIZZA stone, not a baking stone, that I put in my oven and heat to 550 degrees. I stretch my dough thin, top it and put it in the oven on the HOT pizza stone. A plain cheese or garlic pizza cooks in 5 minutes. It has the crispest crust ever. A pizza with more toppings takes about 2 minutes longer. I have never had to bake a pizza for more than 7 minutes. The thing with Pampered Chef is that you can't get the oven hot enough and you are not supposed to preheat the stone.

The thing with Pampered Chef is that you can't get the oven hot enough.

That is simply not true! One has nothing to do with the other ... you CAN preheat the stone as long as you aren't putting anything frozen on it! And just like cookware, there are many different manufacturers and brands. The fact that you have a generic stone doesn't make it better, nor does it make it inferior. Just make sure it's made in the USA and lead free.

Final Results

I had very good luck with my new King Arthur Pizza Stone / 550deg. bake / bottom rack / 3-4 min. total cook time.

The new stone is twice as thick as my old pampered chef stone and I kicked up the heat from 400 to 550. I am not saying the pampered chef stone was the problem, I have had that stone for about 10 years and will continue to keep it.

Here is a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 218
I had very good luck with my new King Arthur Pizza Stone / 550deg. bake / bottom rack / 3-4 min. total cook time.

The new stone is twice as thick as my old pampered chef stone and I kicked up the heat from 400 to 550. I am not saying the pampered chef stone was the problem, I have had that stone for about 10 years and will continue to keep it.

Here is a pic.

I like EVERYTHING about it... the MAX temp in the oven, the short cook time, the picture looks exactly the way it should - simple artisanal Margherita! I personally use King Arthur unbleached, unbromated flour which I find works great. Mi hai fatto sorridere!!

My last few pizzas used the unbleached flour. This type of flour looks a little more yellow and I can definitely taste a difference.

Back
Top Bottom