tough pizza crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have made pizza from scratch twice. Pretty good, but my crusts were a bit tough. Different recipes for both. I notice store bought doughs have "dough conditioners" whatever those are. My first crust was made with all "00" flour, my second crust part 00 and part all-purpose. First crust was kneaded in Kitchen Aide, second was kneaded for 13 minutes by me. First crust was made later that day. Second crust sat in fridge for 3 days. Any suggestions on how to get a more tender crust?
Thanks!!

Without knowing specifics, here are some possibilities. It may be over-kneaded, too much gluten development. Remember that gluten development will continue during rests and rises.

Under-hydration is a possibility. If it comes out of kneading as a tight ball, with no stickiness at all, it may be dry.

My own quick pizza dough is made in a food processor, an approximate amount of flour and watching the spinning dough ball to judge the amount or water, without long kneading, and it comes out of the processor quite sticky. It settles down while rising but tends to stay light and somewhat puffy while being formed.

The problem will not be the lack of dough conditioners.

Dough conditioners may contain some combination of:

Vital wheat gluten
Lectiin
Ascorbic acid
Pectin
Geletin
Powdered milk
Malt
Whey

... especially the first three. But conditioner is a nicety and lack of it doesn't cause a serious problem.

Back
Top Bottom