"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #51
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	26883

I bought this Chile Relleno when DH was having oral surgery,
thinking that I'd have something that would be quick and easy for supper
for one, as he couldn't eat at the time.
MEH! Not so much, I mean it was just okay. I ate it, but...
Too much "Salsa" for me, as I do not care for tomatoes all that much.
Not that I would ask for a refund, not that bad, but
I surly won't be buying this again.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #52
Executive Chef

OMG thank you so much Kayelle, I was SRSLY considering buying this very product last week, but something seemed "off" to me. It was that the quantity of protein (seafood) didn't seem right to me (compared to the rest of the ingredients), even at the weight it seemed intended for TWO people, but at the same time I thought ONE person and throw away the extra rice.

You saved me from either throwing away the entire product or eating it via gagging myself with a spoon! (Okay, okay, I *DID* grow up in The Valley!) Yes I remember when the expression came into vogue (after I was a teener) and went out of vogue (I was a bona fide yuppie homeowner by then).

So I'll take this product only if I have a nearby spoon available for gagging purposes. Otherwise I'll take a pass.

I have become increasingly disappointed in TJ products. This is just one of them. I particularly get annoyed with their "servings for two" products. I am one person. And when I have guests (>2) I wouldn't serve them store bought food. I'd cook from scratch, and like all DC members from the heart, I can beat any restaurant any day as long as I get to pick the day.

Same problem with that EU market that tested our shores. I was a customer when they were full on "one serving." They changed their model to "two up" and lost me in the process.

I can tolerate "nuke 'n puke" products to a degree, provided I need to gag myself with a spoon only one time. But I have no room in my diet for reheated 2-serving "nuke 'n puke." One spoon session is quite enough for me!