"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #121
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Don't hold that location against TJ's and miss out on great deals. When Himself moved to MA, he would pass one on the way to and from work. It was in a more upscale suburb. He didn't look for months because he figured it had high price-points on all the items. To his surprise, it was the affordable version of a Whole Paycheck - but with better quality.

We're about 20 miles from the nearest TJ's, and it is in the direction opposite of most of our errands. However, we make a point to make a pilgrimage at least every 3 months.

Not going to TJs because they are in a "hoity toity suburb" would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Suck it up, don't breathe in the rich air, and enjoy the store.
+1 Well said.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #122
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Trader Joe products you have tried

Quote:
I'd take it back to TJs the next time. They'll give you store credit for the value of the swill. No receipt needed since everything is Private Label.

Heh. Our two nearest TJ's are either 31/2 or 6 hours away, and the chances of getting to either are in about 6 months. I'll just feed the swill to DH. He'll eat anything if I deprive him of food long enough.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 PM   #123
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
None. One is going to open next year but I'll never darken the door. It's going to be in a hoity toity suburb that I just don't go to on principle.
I know what you mean. When I was visiting a friend in Georgia, we went to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I wasn't that impressed with either one. Both stores were rather small and very crowded. You could barely get your small carriage through their erratic laid out aisles.

Articles that I can buy in my own supermarket, are the very same in these two stores. Only the price was different. I can get those items for a lot less here at home.

My girlfriend who lives there cannot find imported Parm cheese. And heaven knows she has hunted in every cheese store she can find. I send her at least $20 worth every month. Her guests are very impressed when she pulls out the small grater and a hunk of Parm with the name stamped right on the rind. She makes it a point to serve some kind of pasta dish whenever she has company.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 PM   #124
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Apparently the Thai Satay noodles that I picked up are swill. DH will get them for lunch at some point.
Agreed Dawg! Take the unused portion of your "swill" (frozen of course since they are so far away) back to TJ's, I've done that 3 times now and each time they've been apologetic and refunded my money in full!
Old 08-26-2016, 11:56 PM   #125
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
None. One is going to open next year but I'll never darken the door. It's going to be in a hoity toity suburb that I just don't go to on principle.

Ya know SL, I thought the same way when we first moved to the "Mainland" or the Continental Untied States from Hawaii (there's NO TJ's there) and my sister was raving about them, up one side and down the other.
It was located in a higher end neighborhood from where we were living (about 15 miles away) and to me, I looked at it as another Whole Foods, not for this country girl.
WELL!
My sister gave me a gift card our first Christmas here and so I felt compelled to finally go there and use the card, ya know i can't waste things...
WOW! Was I WRONG about the place!
LOVE IT!
And I agree, just don't breath in that hoity toity air and go inside, it's lovely!
Really nice folks, very friendly, helpful and the produces are a gas! I find something new every time I go! REALLY!!
I was like you and REFUSED to go there, but MAN! MAN!!
Old 08-26-2016, 11:59 PM   #126
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...Articles that I can buy in my own supermarket, are the very same in these two stores. Only the price was different. I can get those items for a lot less here at home...
They are not exactly the same in Trader Joe's and Market Basket. TJs is all private label/major manufacturing. Before, they used to carry Annie's Naturals salad dressing. When they went all private label, it was the same bottle, same everything...except the name and picture on the front label.

And, generally speaking, prices at Trader Joe's are lower than Market Basket, too. They are one of the three stores I shopped regularly when Market Basket was in the midst of their non-strike strike. I knew I could get good prices at TJs because I had been shopping them regularly, if infrequently, for years before the strike. If you think TJs costs more, you just must not have really been paying attention when you were in that TJs.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:04 AM   #127
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I know what you mean. When I was visiting a friend in Georgia, we went to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I wasn't that impressed with either one. Both stores were rather small and very crowded. You could barely get your small carriage through their erratic laid out aisles.

Articles that I can buy in my own supermarket, are the very same in these two stores. Only the price was different. I can get those items for a lot less here at home.

My girlfriend who lives there cannot find imported Parm cheese. And heaven knows she has hunted in every cheese store she can find. I send her at least $20 worth every month. Her guests are very impressed when she pulls out the small grater and a hunk of Parm with the name stamped right on the rind. She makes it a point to serve some kind of pasta dish whenever she has company.
Would you give it up already about the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese? It's available at Whole Foods in Atlanta, and even in Publix. If your friend can't find it, she's not looking.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:05 AM   #128
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
They are not exactly the same in Trader Joe's and Market Basket. TJs is all private label/major manufacturing. Before, they used to carry Annie's Naturals salad dressing. When they went all private label, it was the same bottle, same everything...except the name and picture on the front label.

And, generally speaking, prices at Trader Joe's are lower than Market Basket, too. They are one of the three stores I shopped regularly when Market Basket was in the midst of their non-strike strike. I knew I could get good prices at TJs because I had been shopping them regularly, if infrequently, for years before the strike. If you think TJs costs more, you just must not have really been paying attention when you were in that TJs.
I am well aware of the differences between the two.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #129
Head Chef

Agreed CG.
I think the prices in TJ's are right in line with any other market,
at least for what I've seen in AZ, CA, OR, NV, UT, MT, WY, SD,
KS, CO, NM, MD, PA, NC, SC, VA, GA... I think that's it
OH WAIT!
Not in Hawaii though, because
a) there is no TJ's there, AH but there is a Whole 'PayCheck' ...
and b) it's WAY expensive for food there!!
Old 08-27-2016, 12:19 AM   #130
Master Chef

Why would Addie or anyone use "Whole Foods" and "Trader Joe's" in the same sentence? Obviously because they have no first hand experience with either.
They are as different as night and day.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote