"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-15-2016, 12:14 AM   #31
Sous Chef

I think the reason for buying California olive oils is something to do with the labeling. If it's called Extra Virgin, it has to be. In other countries, what you see isn't always supposed to be what you get. In other words, they don't have the same stringent regulations regarding olive oil that we do here.

Niow that's just what I've read - I have no idea how true it is.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:26 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually, the European Union has very strict regulations on what can be called extra virgin, the same as their regulations on what can be called Parmigiano Reggiano cheese or Champagne.

California olive oils are better for us (as opposed to Europeans) because the processors are relatively close to the growers, so the olives are pressed soon after picking. That means we can get the oils while they're fresher and so they're more flavorful.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:43 AM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love the California Olive Ranch EVOO, right price and it tastes wonderful.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #34
Senior Cook

I keep a close eye on the grocery stores around me (Publix/Ingles/Kroger), especially Ingles will put the California Oil on sale BOGO. I buy mine then.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
This? I love it and always get a package or two when I'm there to have on hand.
Ah it's seems very nice hope to try it
But hopefully I can find it in Tokyo supermarkets.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #36
Master Chef

TJ run picked up some greens (bagged baby spinach, baby rocket and the Sorrento mix), frozen blueberries, frozen mixed berries, petite peas and stoned wheat crackers. DD wanted to try the toothpaste (it is great!).

I also picked up a few things Kaye suggested - shelf stable whipping cream (which caused me to pick up unsweetened cocoa powder ) and the sweet onion and bacon dressing since I did pick up salad greens.

I also picked up a box of cookies which disappeared almost as soon as they were opened! I should have gotten 2 boxes (pictured below).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81DZgdG+gIL__SX522_.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	24350  
Old 02-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #37
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yep, that cream is very handy to have!

I just got back from TJ's...these are just a few items. I already tasted that salad dressing and it's killer good, with only 5 g. carbs. The "riced" cauliflower will come in handy for me when SC has his Jasmine rice with something. I'll just stick the pack in the freezer. I love those itty bitty potatoes because they're easy for me to pick out of a dish and give him mine.

K, I saw that riced cauliflower the last time I went to TJ's,
how was it? How did you prepare it?
Old 02-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
K, I saw that riced cauliflower the last time I went to TJ's,
how was it? How did you prepare it?
It tastes just like cauliflower It's not my favorite veggie to be sure. I've used it once so far, trying to mimic rice under a stir fry. I nuked it in a custard cup, and cooked it too much so I'll just do 15 seconds or so next time. It would have been better with more texture. Even with positive thinking, the only thing rice and riced cauliflower share is color.

MsM, I've had those cookies and they could ruin me. They're sooooo good!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It tastes just like cauliflower It's not my favorite veggie to be sure. I've used it once so far, trying to mimic rice under a stir fry. I nuked it in a custard cup, and cooked it too much so I'll just do 15 seconds or so next time. It would have been better with more texture. Even with positive thinking, the only thing rice and riced cauliflower share is color.

MsM, I've had those cookies and they could ruin me. They're sooooo good!
LOL Kay!!

Next time make fried "rice" with the cauliflower. Some oil of choice, onion, carrot, maybe peas. Stir fry till soft, add cauliflower and some soy sauce just stir fry till cauliflower is warm and crispy. If you like you can cook a scrambled egg ahead of time and crumble it over top at end with some sesame seeds, sliced scallions and sprouts for garnish.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
LOL Kay!!

Next time make fried "rice" with the cauliflower. Some oil of choice, onion, carrot, maybe peas. Stir fry till soft, add cauliflower and some soy sauce just stir fry till cauliflower is warm and crispy. If you like you can cook a scrambled egg ahead of time and crumble it over top at end with some sesame seeds, sliced scallions and sprouts for garnish.
You're brilliant MsM!! No kidding that sounds worth eating!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote