"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #81
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
Trader Joe's Product That Got Discounted

yep, that's right.
One of my favorite meals from TJ's was their frozen
Pork Roast Florentine
Click image for larger version

Name:	FOOD! 003.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	24592
I asked why they would no longer carry it,
and all I got was that they had issues with the manufacturer.

We loved it!
Pop that baby into the oven with some potatoes along side,
a veg and you've got dinner.
__________________

__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,096
Trader Joe products you have tried

What a shame, that pork looks wonderful!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #83
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
yep, that's right.
One of my favorite meals from TJ's was their frozen
Pork Roast Florentine
Attachment 24592
I asked why they would no longer carry it,
and all I got was that they had issues with the manufacturer.


We loved it!
Pop that baby into the oven with some potatoes along side,
a veg and you've got dinner.
Kgirl, I got into a conversation with one of the employees on the floor about that subject. I was looking for the beautiful bagged olives. She said if manufactures of a product have supply on demand issues for example, TJ's will drop the item. Can you imagine how many outfits would love to sell to TJ's but couldn't keep up with the production required? Sounds like a story from Shark Tank.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #84
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Kgirl, I got into a conversation with one of the employees on the floor about that subject. I was looking for the beautiful bagged olives. She said if manufactures of a product have supply on demand issues for example, TJ's will drop the item. Can you imagine how many outfits would love to sell to TJ's but couldn't keep up with the production required? Sounds like a story from Shark Tank.

Doesn't it?
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #85
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Do any of you use TJ's frozen fish fillets and if so which items do you prefer and how do you prepare them?

Thanks!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:28 PM   #86
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,878
Bea are you talking about the frozen fish in boxes, or the flash frozen fish in cryovac packaging? If it's the latter, I love their Mahi Mahi, and also the Cod. The chunked Alaskan Cod is a better buy than the fillets of Cod. That's what I used for my Ceviche a couple nights ago. I've also broiled or baked the chunks in the oven in a nice sauce.
The Mahi Mahi, is great several ways, and I love it just seasoned and browned in a skillet, or on the grill or broiled.
I like buying fish at TJ's as it's never been defrosted and sitting around some fish case somewhere, for who knows how long.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #87
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Do any of you use TJ's frozen fish fillets and if so which items do you prefer and how do you prepare them?

Thanks!
Aunt Bea, I've bought the frozen (cryolock) Haddock and broiled it for fish tacos (just sprinkle some taco seasoning on it, I make my own) ... also I've bought the breaded fish (was it cod?) and served it baked with TJ's Handsome French Fries with a nice dish of tartar sauce, MMM! Can you say Fish and Chips?
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #88
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Bea are you talking about the frozen fish in boxes, or the flash frozen fish in cryovac packaging? If it's the latter, I love their Mahi Mahi, and also the Cod. The chunked Alaskan Cod is a better buy than the fillets of Cod. That's what I used for my Ceviche a couple nights ago. I've also broiled or baked the chunks in the oven in a nice sauce.
The Mahi Mahi, is great several ways, and I love it just seasoned and browned in a skillet, or on the grill or broiled.
I like buying fish at TJ's as it's never been defrosted and sitting around some fish case somewhere.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm interested in IQF fillets. I have read that TJ's tends to freeze fish in clumps of fillets that require you to thaw and use the entire package, that would not work for me. I will swing by TJ's tomorrow and take a look at what they have. I like to bake fish plain with a little butter and a few bread crumbs or on a bed of vegetables with a sauce of some type, pretty basic.
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #89
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Aunt Bea, I've bought the frozen (cryolock) Haddock and broiled it for fish tacos (just sprinkle some taco seasoning on it, I make my own) ... also I've bought the breaded fish (was it cod?) and served it baked with TJ's Handsome French Fries with a nice dish of tartar sauce, MMM! Can you say Fish and Chips?
I like the idea of broiled fish for tacos, that would be a change from my basic taco salad.
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 PM   #90
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I like the idea of broiled fish for tacos, that would be a change from my basic taco salad.
Aunt Bea, try it with that sprinkle of Taco Seasoning!
__________________

__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.