"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #351
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
There was a recent discussion about pasta brands here at DC. I agreed with most about the brand not making a lot of difference....until now. Unlike the regular pasta at TJ's this is far superior to anything I've found on the market there or anywhere. I think the "organic" ploy is silly, but the pasta is fantastic. Check it out..
https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/pos...artisan-pastas
I'm glad you're enjoying the new pasta shape I'm also glad that Kroger's Private Selection brand is available to me, since I live at least a half hour drive from the nearest Trader Joe's and have to pay a toll each way. Private Selection is also made of durum wheat, bronze-cut and slow-dried, and imported from Italy.

Was it the shape you like so much, or did you really notice a difference in the flavor? I think I'd have to try two brands side by side to be sure, since the mouth feel of different shapes makes a difference in how it tastes.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #352
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm glad you're enjoying the new pasta shape I'm also glad that Kroger's Private Selection brand is available to me, since I live at least a half hour drive from the nearest Trader Joe's and have to pay a toll each way. Private Selection is also made of durum wheat, bronze-cut and slow-dried, and imported from Italy.

Was it the shape you like so much, or did you really notice a difference in the flavor? I think I'd have to try two brands side by side to be sure, since the mouth feel of different shapes makes a difference in how it tastes.

Good question with a complicated answer. I always test the perfect doneness of my pasta with a taste test, and I noticed a marked difference in the flavor of the product over common pastas.

The Orecchiette was tender, but a little "chewy" and I really enjoyed that.
The Gigli (little trumpets) are a whole different mouth feel, but equally pleasant....kinda "delicate".

I'll try the third in the trio next.
I've no experience with these pasta shapes until now, but since TJ's is convenient for me I'm sold.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #353
Chef Extraordinaire

Orrechiette makes a great pasta salad, since it stays nice and firm.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #354
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never been successful with pasta salad. I don't like the way the pasta continues to suck up all the dressing. I've been thinking about marinating the pasta in dressing by it'self until it doesn't absorb anymore, and then adding it to the rest of the lightly dressed mix.

Yep, I think Orrechiette would be great for a salad.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #355
Senior Cook

Orrechiette is one of the pastas that I use in my summer salads - cold tomatoes (and many other things - basil, garlic, and olive oil, the basics) stirred into hot, just drained pasta. This shape, along with small shells and spirals, are my favorites, as they trap a lot of the tomatoes and other ingredients. I almost always have some of this in the fridge, once tomatoes start ripening.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #356
Sous Chef

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned these yet, as I haven't gone through every page of posts. But I love these little babies...

My favorite spot to hit at TJ's is the frozen seafood section. I always find really good stuff there at reasonable prices. I also check out their prepared foods section, especially if I'm hitting TJ's on my way to work and I'm looking for something to pick up for lunch. They're also my go-to place to buy pita bread.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #357
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Attachment 33261

I went to Trader Joe's yesterday, and found this tucked away.

Attachment 33262

I planned a nice big pot of Local-Style Beef Stew and thought
that this would surely enhance the Beefiness aka Umami

https://www.foodland.com/recipe/local-style-beef-stew

(I use less Tomato product than Chef Keoni does... it doesn't agree with me)

… snipped ...

I'm going to rescind this statement about Trader Joe's Mushroom Umami.
I re-heated some of this Beef Stew for dinner last night as well as the last of it for lunch today.
It had an odd smell to it as I dished up our bowls... like nasty stinky feet!!
I'm thinking that I'll take this back instead
Old 02-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #358
Master Chef

We don't have any Trader Joe's here in Canada..I'd like to know if you guys think their products are really good compared to other brands, or just something you would buy for nights you don't feel like cooking? Is there anything they make that you don't think you could make as good? Are their products worth the money? Just curious, because I love eating and I would probably check a place like this out if we had any..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #359
Sous Chef

I personally think their products are worth the money, but then they also have many items that aren't as expensive as one would expect them to be. Unlike Whole Foods, which is a complete ripoff. Too big for its britches, than one is.

Compared to other brands, I wouldn't necessarily say TJ's is highly superior; just maybe of a little better quality. Plus they have items you can't find in your standard grocery store. Many of their items are unique.

Things I buy at TJ's, I take home and cook. So there's nothing they 'make' that's better than what I cook at home. Most of their stuff is for putting meals together yourself. Our TJ's here doesn't have ready-made hot meals.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #360
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post

Things I buy at TJ's, I take home and cook. So there's nothing they 'make' that's better than what I cook at home. Most of their stuff is for putting meals together yourself. Our TJ's here doesn't have ready-made hot meals.
Thanks..I've been dropping into this thread occasionally..I didn't mean ready to eat meals for the most part..I was referring to their processed stuff.. It looks like a cool place to shop...

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote