Trader Joe's products you have tried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh ok.....I'll give that one a try Andy. I know they have Indian simmer sauces too.

IIRC, TJ's has red, yellow and green Thai simmer sauces. The red Indian curry sauce is chicken tikka masala; it has either crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce in it, which is what makes it red.

I've had that green Thai curry sauce
It's not bad, although I think it's pretty mild. It wouldn't hurt to add a hot green pepper if you like heat, and little fresh cilantro at the end.

I found it interesting that the ingredients in Thai curries generally aren't sautéed and browned first, like we're used to doing. They usually build the sauce first and then simmer the veggies and proteins.

Last edited:
Trader Joe products you have tried

GG and jennyema thanks for the feedback. If SO and I both like it, I'll start making it myself.

Danged thread

All this talk of TJ's had me craving their Arancini Bites. :yum: That, and the fact that Michael Symon made them earlier this week on The Chew. Did a quick stop...and $51 later, we walked out with more than that one box of apps. :LOL:

While searching the freezer cases for them, we ran across (and bought) both barramundi fillets and Alaskan cod pieces. I've seen so much about barramundi lately I thought we should finally try it, and those cod chunks will be perfect when I make fish tacos in the near future.

Also picked up three new-to-us items. You guys have been talking up both the EVOO and Sunflower butter, and Himself spied the pretzel roll. I was surprised that Himself like the Sunflower butter after giving me an "uh-huh" when I said we should try it. I still like PB better, but I might swirl some of the sunflower stuff through my oatmeal next time I make some. The olive oil has me wanting to sample more. And we'll check out that roll tomorrow with supper - if it makes it that far.

Attachments

• 2016-02-26 00.07.21.jpg
    2016-02-26 00.07.21.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 203
CG, I love TJ's cod for fish tacos, both the battered and unbattered. They're the perfect size and are great with the Baja sauce you posted in an earlier thread. :yum:

Glad to hear you tried the Sunflower butter and Himself liked it - I'll have to try a spoonful or so in oatmeal. By the time I finish a jar I'm done with it for a year or so. I do like it on toasted wheat and as a snack to dip celery sticks in. :)
Definitely getting that olive oil next time I'm there.

Last edited:
... snipped ...And we'll check out that roll tomorrow with supper - if it makes it that far.

CG, how were those soft pretzel sticks?
I saw those as well the last time I was at TJ's and wasn't sure if my Mister
would like those or not. He has been mumbling lately that I should try to make my own, since we (more like I) were watching Martha Stewart's Cooking School program and she had a guest chef showing her how to make soft pretzels.

Stay away from their cheap beer -- Simpler Times and Name Tag (lagers, pilsners). Ick.

:ohmy: :yum: Oh, I MUST try this! Sure looks like they don't skimp on the bacon. Thanks Kay, looking forward to your review. :)

Cheryl, I don't know if you ever saw this fun thread back in 2011, but TJ's could be an easy and inexpensive way of enjoying the same thing. Dawg did it, but I never got a round tuit. :rolleyes:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f83/atten-bacon-lovers-76495.html

I can't wait to bake it on top of a round of Brie. Yep, this will be worth spending 5g of carbs per Tbs.!
Sorry the you tube thing was a little annoying, although informational.

Last edited:
I just read through that thread, Kay. Confirms even more that TJ's price is a good one! I bet it would be fantastic on Brie. :yum:

I had the Danish Kringle last night and it is excellent; also got a bag of the dill pickle popcorn but haven't sampled it.

I'm reluctant to buy foreign honey and usually get local or Sue Bee's wild product.

I saw something about maple syrup grading shortly after that post! I now have to learn something new. :wacko: Just so long as each label shows the flavor profile of what is in the bottle I should be OK. Maybe. I hope.

This might help anyone who is wondering about the new maple syrup classifications:

New Grades Come to Vermont

Back
Top Bottom