Traditional foods in your country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's funny how people from the Carolinas argue about what sauce is the best for barbeque. Personally, from a Texan, I think good barbeque doesn't need sauce at all. We mostly cook brisket so its a little different scenario than a pork shoulder, but on a good brisket, every slice will have a lining of fat on one side that is extremely flavorful and just melts in your mouth. That's the best sauce of all!

It all sounds good and I agree about the "no barbeque sauce"
We braai (bbq) in SA a lot and we don't really put sauces on our meat. We grill lamb chops, pork chops, lamb or pork ribs and boerewors etc. Just add a few spices and you're good to go. Won't see a South African sticking a burger or hotdog on the grill either, we do that indoors. As for sides, we usually make pap and relish, potato salad, green salad on the side. Another tradition in SA is a bring and braai, one person hosts and everyone brings their own meat and alchohol while the host makes all the side dishes.

I grew up in Southern Michigan, and ate some of the things that Goodweed ate, with the addition of the Pennslyvania Dutch dishes we ate because Dad was from PA. Those were chicken pot pie, chicken corn soup, apple butter, etc. Now...for most of my life...I live in Colorado. What food do you go to Colorado for??? All cuts of beef are good here if you buy local, or let's see, buffalo is popular. Lots of places make jerky (beef or buffalo). I have had Rocky Mountain Oysters too, and they were good. I was tricked into trying them, but in the end they were good. There is a "pie lady" at a place near the entrance to the Sand Dunes National Park that makes pies as good as what I remember having at the Kalamazoo County Fair! What people have here varies from house to house, I guess because people have not lived in Colorado as long as some other places (historically).

We don't really eat burgers and hotdogs often here, it's more of a junkfood item. Usually just grill what we would consider real meat. Guess it's just our way of doing it.

We don't really eat burgers and hotdogs often here, it's more of a junkfood item. Usually just grill what we would consider real meat. Guess it's just our way of doing it.
In the summer, if I can grill it, it gets grilled! I really enjoy cooking outside. In the winter, when we have a nice day, I grill out too. Sometimes I end up grilling in the garage!

Love cooking outside too :) we do give the kids hotdogs sometimes but we make it at home since it's usually so late when the braai is done that the kids can't wait. If you go to an SA braai for lunch you end up getting dinner..lol!

I dig a path through the snow to the middle of my front yard. Then, I remove the snow in a circle large enough to hold my Webber Grill, and to be able to walk all the way around it comfortably. I bank the snow on the west side of the circle, about 6 foot tall, and ten foot long, to shelter me from any winds. I grill all year long, sunshine, rain, snow, I don't care, though in inclement weather, I grill with the lid on exclusively.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I grew up in Southern Michigan, and ate some of the things that Goodweed ate, with the addition of the Pennslyvania Dutch dishes we ate because Dad was from PA. Those were chicken pot pie, chicken corn soup, apple butter, etc. Now...for most of my life...I live in Colorado. What food do you go to Colorado for??? All cuts of beef are good here if you buy local, or let's see, buffalo is popular. Lots of places make jerky (beef or buffalo). I have had Rocky Mountain Oysters too, and they were good. I was tricked into trying them, but in the end they were good. There is a "pie lady" at a place near the entrance to the Sand Dunes National Park that makes pies as good as what I remember having at the Kalamazoo County Fair! What people have here varies from house to house, I guess because people have not lived in Colorado as long as some other places (historically).

It's the same in Wyoming and Montana...not much tradition, but what happens in each house. Even at work, during lunchtime I can cadge just about any cuisine out there.

At the farm, the BBQ is in the sawmill shed. We use it year 'round. At the house in the city, it is on the deck. We also use it year 'round.

I dig a path through the snow to the middle of my front yard. Then, I remove the snow in a circle large enough to hold my Webber Grill, and to be able to walk all the way around it comfortably. I bank the snow on the west side of the circle, about 6 foot tall, and ten foot long, to shelter me from any winds. I grill all year long, sunshine, rain, snow, I don't care, though in inclement weather, I grill with the lid on exclusively.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

OK, but why dig in the snow when there is a garage? If I didn't have a garage, I would dig in the snow. It is worth it to grill! Gotta love it!!!

Rocklobster, you made my day. I really don't make all those dishes all that often, but agree with those who say that in the U.S., we pretty much eat what our ancestors ate as a "native" dish. For me it's tourtiere at Christmas time and an occaisional new England boiled dinner. But, in fact my father (and most of his brothers) was in the U.S. Air Force, as I was, and my husband was in the U.S. Army. In sum it means we learned to eat Internationally. My husband's people were Eastern European in origins, so I learned to cook some of my Slovak/Slovene in-laws' dishes. But most of our cooking came from our coworkers, who were a very international lot.

OK, but why dig in the snow when there is a garage? If I didn't have a garage, I would dig in the snow. It is worth it to grill! Gotta love it!!!

Because it shows I'm hardcore crazy, through and through. I refuse to let old man winter slow me down. I used to snowmobile in jeans and a T-shirt, as well as ski behind cars in hard-sole shoes. And then there were the barefoot races when the fish weren't biting out on the ice.

If you think I'm going to let 5 feet of snow keep me from grillin' in my yard, you don't know me very well.:ROFLMAO: Notice that - "of the North" part of my title?:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Because it shows I'm hardcore crazy, through and through. I refuse to let old man winter slow me down. I used to snowmobile in jeans and a T-shirt, as well as ski behind cars in hard-sole shoes. And then there were the barefoot races when the fish weren't biting out on the ice.

If you think I'm going to let 5 feet of snow keep me from grillin' in my yard, you don't know me very well.:ROFLMAO: Notice that - "of the North" part of my title?:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I believe I have become soft. When I was growing up in Michigan, the snow was fantastic. I have several pictures of the snow banks and us kids always in them! I too remember snowmobiling in all kinds of weather! I miss those days. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Maybe I should shovel some snow this winter, plop that grill in the hole, and barbeque away! I'll let you know how it goes! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom