"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I live in a condo complex of townhouse style homes so we get lots of kids as there are lots of homes in a small area. In past years we have had from 30 - 100 kids. This year we had about 60.

The condo association hires a cop and a cruiser for four hours to drive around our complex to deter mischief. This year he was nowhere to be seen and when we called to check on him, we were told he misunderstood the date! How do you misunderstand the date for Halloween!!?!?

Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Everymom

You have GOT to be kidding me Andy! Thats crazy!

What kind of candy do you hand out?

Old 10-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
Flour Child

It's 8:30 and we've had about 20 kids...that's about the same as last year. We're handing out Snickers, M&M, and small Gala apples. Believe it or not one child picked the apple out of the basket first and only took the candy when I said she was welcome to take more. She was about 10 yrs old and dressed as the prettiest cat I've ever seen.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
Master Chef

Site Moderator

This year was pretty disappointing. We had maybe 30 kids and gave away maybe only a 1/3 of what we bought. We used to go till well after the 8 PM stop time but the last few years we have seen fewer and fewer kids. This year by 7:40 there was no one left on the streets. So we packed it in at @7:50. I buy the mixed bag of candy so there is something for everyone.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The condo association hires a cop and a cruiser for four hours to drive around our complex to deter mischief. This year he was nowhere to be seen and when we called to check on him, we were told he misunderstood the date! How do you misunderstand the date for Halloween!!?!?
Because this year falls on Sunday nite and kids have to go to school Monday morning so many towns are celebrating on Saturday night. I suspect another reason is because church sunday and halloween don't mix...but it would be politically incorrect to admit that's the reason though....maybe.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
You have GOT to be kidding me Andy! Thats crazy!

What kind of candy do you hand out?
The littlest ones get little packs of gummies (no nuts) and the usual fun sized candy bars for the rest. Reeses peanut butter cups are held for last.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The trick with leftover candy is to only buy what you want to eat yourself OR buy only what you are only too happy to pass up.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #18
Everymom

Yep, the peanut butter cups get held til last here too!
Old 10-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #19
Master Chef

I didn't count but we went through 4 bags of Kit Kats and just over 4 bags of Snickers.
I like Snickers so I bought extra hoping we'd have left overs. Had to open bag #5 for the last group of kids. We have a nice neighborhood that is fairly secluded but there are apartments nearby. I think about half of the kids were from the apartments. They were all polite and the majority had parents with them.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm a Halloween scrooge. I guess I have turned into an old sour pus. I turned lights back on at around 20h00. They are usually done by then.

I got tired of kids who didn't smile and all want coins for charity along with candy. I also hate that I can't give them something home made, or their parents will toss it out.