"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Everymom

Trick or Treat! Whatcha got? How many?

What do you hand out for Halloween? Most years I buy a pile of something like Tootsie Rolls or lollipops and leave them out where they can be easily found and hide the "good stuff" from Ken. LOL! This year I only bought a giant bag of M&Ms, Snickers and Oh Henry. We usually only get about 30 kids. We live near The Mall, so lots of little ones go there.

What are you giving out and how many kids do you expect?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We get tons of kids. Most of them from other neighborhoods, some churches bus them into our neighborhood. Unfortuantly we have had issue with "tricks" in the past. We have tootsie roll pops for the out of neighborhood kids, two 100 count boxes.

For our neighborhood kids we have full sized candy bars.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
We get tons of kids. Most of them from other neighborhoods, some churches bus them into our neighborhood. Unfortuantly we have had issue with "tricks" in the past. We have tootsie roll pops for the out of neighborhood kids, two 100 count boxes.

For our neighborhood kids we have full sized candy bars.
And we ran out of candy just before 7 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Ours varies widely from year to year. We have one bowl full of candy. Once it's gone, it's gone.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Half Baked

Last year we gave out 18 bags of candy and this year we have 22 bags on hand.We can't even close the door for an hour or two each year.I decorate BIG TIME so we have a steady stream of kids from the sidewalk to the door and people taking pictures all over the place.I am about 2 hours from T-time right now and I don't know who is more excited,Me or the kids.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We gave up handing out when we only got one or two kids a couple of years in a row. Appears our neighborhood is mostly older couples, like us and retired folks.

When we were in Student Housing, when I was in college, there wasn't enough candy for all the kids.

A couple of co-workers and I will be handing out at work in a bit, we invite church groups to come through the facility so the residents can hand out candy, they love it. I'll be running back and forth topping up candy bowls.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We have lived in this house since July 2003 and we haven't had a trick-or-treater yet. We used to buy candy, just in case, but there are only a couple kids on our road and they go into town to trick-or-treat, or to one (or more) of the "trunk-or-treat" events at local churches. Our church did that tonight.

We had tons of kids when I lived in California. I think the happiest kids we got was the year my mom handed out Charms suckers (not the blow-pop kind, but the fruity flavors). My mom counted the kids most years, and we usually had around 200.

Barbara
Old 10-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Everymom

Well we had our first 6 at 545pm. Nothing now...quiet out there. I've had parents laughing and taking pictures of our puking pumpkin though.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
Half Baked

I also have to say that we have been decorating and doing halloween big for about 5 years now and never had a problem with any kid or vandalism.The kids are so polite and the whole thing is done by 9pm.We gat alot of immagrant kids and they are the most polite out the bunch.I remember more problems when i was a kid.I am in a major city too but not downtown.
It really makes you want to do it more.

We give a wide variety of candies since I have to buy so much.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Not a single kid so far.