"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #21
Head Chef

I got some at TJ Maxx . How long do you think it keeps?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

thanx vitauta an tattrat! ICK! throwing mine out ...

Old 03-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #23
Wine Guy

As noted, truffle oil doesn't contain real truffles. However, truffle salt does. It's sold at some gourmet shops or you can find it online. It's pretty expensive stuff, running around $25 for a 3-oz jar. It keeps for quite awhile, though.

I really like the salt. A little bit sprinkled on eggs or pasta adds a nice subtle truffle flavor, as opposed to the obnoxious smell and flavor of the oil.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #24
Sous Chef

What I sometimes like to do with it, is stirr a few drops into hot pasta, before I put the pasta sauce etc on top. It gives the pasta a really nice but subtle flavour that will go well with just about any pasta topping.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
As noted, truffle oil doesn't contain real truffles. However, truffle salt does. It's sold at some gourmet shops or you can find it online. It's pretty expensive stuff, running around $25 for a 3-oz jar. It keeps for quite awhile, though.

I really like the salt. A little bit sprinkled on eggs or pasta adds a nice subtle truffle flavor, as opposed to the obnoxious smell and flavor of the oil.
yes, subsequent to the oil, i bought some italian truffle salt--very nice. i'm happy with this coarse salt--it has small bits of truffles throughout and smells divine. great in pasta dishes, burgers, soups, stews....
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Try it in deviled eggs.......yum.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Trader Joe's Truffle Oil, house brand, 8.5 oz/$8.59. Black or white. Ingredients; Italian extra virgin olive oil infused with black winter truffles (I'm reading the label). I prefer the black over the white. If they have it on the shelf.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #28
Executive Chef

My truffle oil is Urbani (brand) "black winter truffle oil" with "olive oil infused with extra black winter truffles (Tuber Melanosporum Vitt), ingredient list: olive oil, black winter truffle aroma (Tuber Melanosporum Vitt). Whether that means my oil ever saw a truffle is probably best left up to lawyers.

Of course it is a drizzling oil, not meant for cooking. In my few experiments I have yet to be dazzled. Only thing I noticed at all with using it in a few light salad dressings... Didn't rock my planet.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
...ingredient list: olive oil, black winter truffle aroma (Tuber Melanosporum Vitt). Whether that means my oil ever saw a truffle is probably best left up to lawyers.
That sounds like they rolled a barrel of olive oil through the truffle market and called it a day. I'm not impressed by the one I tried, either. There's probably some vague shared history between the oil and a truffle, but it seems to have been fleeting. Hideously expensive way to buy highly questionable olive oil.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
It is basically "perfumed" oil, and garbage. It is an "aroma" mimicked by perfume, and infused with olive oil, no thanks. Like mentioned above, the only way to really insure it's quality, is to get truffles packed in oil, or, make it your self.."

If you make it yourself you run the risk of botulism.

homemade truffle oil botulism - Google Search=

Tags
oil