Truffle Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought my 1.8 oz. bottle about a year and a half ago. I may have misremembered the price.

I do remember that it's not worth it yet... But perhaps it's my fault for not discovering the right recipes...

I cooked with White Truffle Oil last night for the first time. i bought it at King Kullen. The recipe was for chicken and broccoli rage with white Truffle Oil and creamy Polenta. i forgot to write polenta on my shopping list, so I forgot to buy it. I will buy some Polenta soon and try to learn how to make it as I have never made Polenta before and it sounds more difficult than making rice.

I bought my 1.8 oz. bottle about a year and a half ago. I may have misremembered the price.

I do remember that it's not worth it yet... But perhaps it's my fault for not discovering the right recipes...
I found the recipe for Chicken with Creamy Polenta and Broccoli Rabe on the McCormick.com website. McCormick.com has some great recipes on it. I have a lot of spices in our kitchen so I didn't have to buy any. Some of them are by McCormick but not all of them.

You are not supposed to cook with truffle oil. Use ordinary oil for cooking then use truffle oil after your dish is cooked, then season it with truffle oil, or use it to season cold dishes such as salads.

Cooking ruins or aborts the taste of truffle oil.

Last edited:
You are not supposed to cook with truffle oil. Use ordinary oil for cooking then use truffle oil after your dish is cooked, then season it with truffle oil, or use it to season cold dishes such as salads.

Cooking ruins or aborts the taste of truffle oil.
I suspect that's what Arlene did. Most recipes would make this clear.

That's a weird comment. I don't like truffle oil, either, or truffles for that matter. Tastes like dirt to me.

Not weird at all. I was commenting on his statement not on the taste of truffle oil.

Viz:
"I haven't found any applications for my "truffle oil" yet that were worth the purchase price (several dollars for a pretty small bottle)"

"You sound a little grumpy there Greg. It's not the oil's fault."

Maybe something got lost in translation ;-) Grumpy to me means irritated; I took Greg's comment to mean that he didn't like the flavor.

Thanks for the tip, gadzooks, I'm adding it to my TJ's shopping list.

By the way folks....since taste is subjective and there are those who enjoy using Truffle Oil, why not? The cooking police aren't going to raid your kitchen and throw out your fake Truffle Oil. :ermm::rolleyes:
Here here!

As I don't have $300,000 to spend on a pair of white truffles I'm not going to be too fussy about a little pretend truffle flavouring in truffle oil.

As the man-in-the-street (or the woman in the supermarket) happily buys artificial vanilla, almond, peppermint, etc., flavourings for baking or in store-bought cake, etc., it seems a little disingenuous to complain about artificial flavouring in "truffle" oil, especially as the cost, ounce per ounce, of artificial vanilla flavouring is more than that of truffle "flavour" oil.

There being a legal distinction between "flavour" and flavoured" in UK food labelling laws it was quite clear from the main label, which one mine was when I bought it. Caveat emptor!

Last edited:
Here here!

As I don't have $300,000 to spend on a pair of white truffles I'm not going to be too fussy about a little pretend truffle flavouring in truffle oil.

As the man-in-the-street (or the woman in the supermarket) happily buys artificial vanilla, almond, peppermint, etc., flavourings for baking or in store-bought cake, etc., it seems a little disingenuous to complain about artificial flavouring in "truffle" oil, especially as the cost, ounce per ounce, of artificial vanilla flavouring is more than that of truffle "flavour" oil.

There being a legal distinction between "flavour" and flavoured" in UK food labelling laws it was quite clear from the main label, which one mine was when I bought it. Caveat emptor!

The last time I was offered an imported, white truffle, It was $400.00 and the size was close to that of a tennis ball.

Back
Top Bottom