Truffle Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacky77

Senior Cook
I know i've read some recipes using truffle oil, but my mind is blank. I bought some yesterday and I'd like to use it soon. Anyone have any ideas? Can i use it like olive oil?

It should be used as a finishing oil for it's aroma as much as it's flavor if not more so.

It is intoxicating drizzled over a little homemade pizza or pasta and same for rissottto. It pairs with just about anything that has mushrooms in it and will enhance the flavor and smell.

If you are dating or looking for a signifacant other you can put a few drops behind your ears and wait for them to come running.

ooooh i can't wait to use it! hmmm i'll put some on my wrist and see what the bf says... :)

I keep forgetting I have it, 4me. Thanks for the reminder about it for rissotto....I'll be adding it to the rissotto chalenge when I get around to making it for the first time.

Ross is like a department store, clothing, housewares, rare food items, random stuff. i saw the oil and grabbed it.

;)Jacky, I love Ross/Marshal's/TJMax for finding stuff like that..it's like finding gold.

I used a little of my truffle oil in my egg salad sandwich yesterday, and it blew me away it was so good. Here's what I did....copied from the egg salad thread......
Daizymae, I used your softened butter/no mayo method and I doubt I'll ever use anything but soft butter for egg salad again. For two eggs, I used about a tablespoon of soft salted butter, some white pepper, fresh dill, a tsp. of rice vinegar,and the 1/2 tsp of white truffle oil sent it right over the top. Truffle oil would be way too expensive to use for 30 sandwiches, but it was out of sight for one!!

oh nummy!!! i have to try that!!! I'll be using it tonight. making a mushroom alfredo ravioli and i am thinking of drizzling it on the pasta for oomph.

I can't believe half the stuff i find at Ross, i don't even buy clothes there. Cooking gadgets, spices, chocolate, etc....I check there before i go to a bigger department store to look for anything...you never know what you'll find.

oh nummy!!! i have to try that!!! I'll be using it tonight. making a mushroom alfredo ravioli and i am thinking of drizzling it on the pasta for oomph. That will be delicious !!

I can't believe half the stuff i find at Ross, i don't even buy clothes there. Cooking gadgets, spices, chocolate, etc....I check there before i go to a bigger department store to look for anything...you never know what you'll find. ME TOO! Never take a friend with you, they always have just one of the good stuff. I learned that the hard way. :LOL:
;)

Get a jar of black truffles in oil. You get the best of both worlds! We almost bought 1/2 of a white truffle a few years back. The seller just wanted to get his cost covered and offered to sell us just half. It would have cost $200.00 for the half. Came real close to doing it.:ohmy: Decided to settle for a couple fresh blacks and a flower bottle of Pierre Jouet or something as indulgent. Was making good bonuses at the time. Could not even consider it now.:(

Craig

i threw out my bottle of truffle oil after hearing from chef ramsay that it is a chemically based oil with no real truffles in it.

It is basically "perfumed" oil, and garbage. It is an "aroma" mimicked by perfume, and infused with olive oil, no thanks. Like mentioned above, the only way to really insure it's quality, is to get truffles packed in oil, or, make it your self.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truffle_(fungus)

Truffle oil
Main article: Truffle oil
Truffle oil is often used as a lower cost and convenient substitute for truffles, to provide flavoring or to enhance the flavor and aroma of truffles in cooking. Most "truffle oil," however, does not contain any truffles.[25] The vast majority is olive oil which has been artificially flavoured using a synthetic agent such as 2,4-dithiapentane.[25] Daniel Patterson reported in the New York Times that "even now, you will find chefs who are surprised to hear that truffle oil does not actually come from real truffles."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom