Truffle oil...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snow.

Washing Up
What's your opinion on it?

There are quite a few stories of people completely losing their minds when they find out that somehow their quart of "truffle oil" isn't actually oil from truffles. Some say they threw away hundreds of dollars of the stuff...

I say so freaking what? You obviously liked it before, just because you find out some new information doesn't change anything about it. If you really insist on 100% natural cooking down to a molecular level then sure you can not use it. But why flip out? If you like the way it tastes, use it. If you don't, don't. There's plenty of real truffle products.

The only thing that does bother me is the price fixing thing. No way does it cost $40 to put a few drops of a lab-made chemical into 4-8 ounces of olive oil.

It's wonderful. Do you agree?

What's your opinion on it?

There are quite a few stories of people completely losing their minds when they find out that somehow their quart of "truffle oil" isn't actually oil from truffles. Some say they threw away hundreds of dollars of the stuff...

I say so freaking what? You obviously liked it before, just because you find out some new information doesn't change anything about it. If you really insist on 100% natural cooking down to a molecular level then sure you can not use it. But why flip out? If you like the way it tastes, use it. If you don't, don't. There's plenty of real truffle products.

The only thing that does bother me is the price fixing thing. No way does it cost $40 to put a few drops of a lab-made chemical into 4-8 ounces of olive oil.

It's wonderful. Do you agree?

I've had the real thing at a very nice restaurant that makes a terrific truffle mac 'n cheese (I've also had it without the truffles) and truffle-flavored oil that I bought. Didn't like either one. It's not a flavor I enjoy.

If you are buying a quart of truffle oil you should probably suspect it's fake.

It's sold in much smaller quantities.

I like it in extreme moderation.

If you are buying a quart of truffle oil you should probably suspect it's fake.

It's sold in much smaller quantities.

I like it in extreme moderation.

Well. There is NO such thing as "real" truffle oil. It's all olive or possibly some other oil with 2,4-dithiapentane. Someone may squeeze truffles they find onto their own dishes, but it's certainly not sold on any scale, anywhere.

So regardless of the amount, price, or location of purchase, it's basically the same thing.

You can get some quart containers (very expensively) of truffle oil from a few retailers. They're probably $100 or more though.

http://www.beverlyhillscaviar.com/truffleoil-buy-truffle-oil-online-bulk-oils.html $200 a gallon. Then probably $50 for shipping.

I have never found a truffle oil I thought worth the price. There is just so very little of the truffle in it. Now, I do have truffle salt that has a distinct truffle flavor. But I've come to the opinion that, if you want truffle flavor, save up and buy truffle from a reliable source. FungusAmongUs makes a reasonable product.

I'm to the real truffle stage and using it to flavor salt. I will also infuse my own oil. I'm allowed 2 small truffles a year, I make the most of them.

I have a tiny bottle of truffle oil I got in Mexico from a grocery store imported section that was from Italy. It has a one inch suspended chunk of fungus that looks truffle-like, so I think it's authentic. Unfortunately, it expired back in '09. It was on top of my spice cabinet, and I kept forgetting to use it. Wasn't expensive as I recall. I can't bear to throw it out....

Last edited:
I have never found a truffle oil I thought worth the price. There is just so very little of the truffle in it. Now, I do have truffle salt that has a distinct truffle flavor. But I've come to the opinion that, if you want truffle flavor, save up and buy truffle from a reliable source. FungusAmongUs makes a reasonable product.

How would you compare suffle tralt to truffle oil? Is it worth $15 for a jar of it? Is just a pinch on some fresh french fries good or would you have to use it for things that require salt in the cooking like soups and stews?

I think that truffle oil is pungent and fake tasting. I have tried many different types of truffles and liked the flavor of most of them but the truffle oil is sort of nasty IMO

I think the oil from a jar of oil stored black truffles, just might be real. I could be wrong though and it might just be a marketing ploy.:rolleyes: Never seen white truffles in oil though. We can afford the occassional fresh blacks, but whites are now way above our pay grade.:( Love making risotto from the rice we store the truffles in.

Last edited:
I have a tiny bottle from Harvey Nics, it was expensive but erm , just not sure what to do with it. Part of my buy now think later shopping strategy . Durr .

Well. There is NO such thing as "real" truffle oil. It's all olive or possibly some other oil with 2,4-dithiapentane. Someone may squeeze truffles they find onto their own dishes, but it's certainly not sold on any scale, anywhere.

So regardless of the amount, price, or location of purchase, it's basically the same thing.

You can get some quart containers (very expensively) of truffle oil from a few retailers. They're probably $100 or more though.

Truffle Oil, Bulk Truffle Oil, Buy Truffle Oil :: Purchase Truffle Oil Online $200 a gallon. Then probably $50 for shipping.

Sorry, but you are wrong about this.

I never said anything about Mexico, big chunks or being cheap.

I'm talking about whole black truffles packed in olive oil. Can't fake that.

That still isn't 100% truffle oil like OP was talking about, although it is olive oil naturally infused with truffle flavor. I can't imagine truffles being pressed to make 100% truffle oil either. Although ALL truffle oil being some kind of artificially flavored oil doesn't make sense to me either. Like you said, truffles packed in oil would create a kind of truffle oil.

Yes olive oil, truffle oil is an infused oil as fungi doesn't produce oil. Not arguing, just pointing out your mistake in claiming there is no such thing as truffle oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you compare suffle tralt to truffle oil? Is it worth $15 for a jar of it? Is just a pinch on some fresh french fries good or would you have to use it for things that require salt in the cooking like soups and stews?

The truffle oil was essentially useless, just expensive (and probably inferior) olive oil. The salt lends a definite truffle aroma. Not like working with actual truffles, but authentically truffle aroma. I use it as a finishing salt on things where the aroma is appropriate and when it will not be overpowered. Because it happens that this isn't all that frequent for me, I don't mind the price. But it's not so wonderful that I'd miss it much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom