Truffle Storage Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
A local Italian market has been advertising that they are selling Truffles this time of year. They don't have them on hand. You actually have to call up, place an order, and they will let you know when they are in.

My friend called up twice. The first guy said that they could last up to a month in the fridge. He recommended storing them submerged in uncooked rice in the fridge, and it would last about a month. He then said that the rice that they were stored in should be infused with some of the truffle flavor, and can then be cooked ( Which, if true, I thought was a clever idea for storage).

Apparently, the price of Truffles changes every day ( like gold). So my friend did not order them the first time she called.

Second time she called, another guy said that they will only last about 4 days after she picks them up from the store, so it would have to be used almost immediately. She didn't order them again this time around, because she didnt want to spend a fortune on something she may not be able to use immediately, then have the rest of it rot in the fridge.

So, question, anyone ever store a truffle, and if so, how and for how long ??

Under an oak tree, indefinitely. :) I have no idea. Someday I hope to taste one and be underwhelmed by its flavor in contrast to the high prices they charge for them.

I really do hope your friend enjoys them.

We've stored them for up to a couple of weeks for sure, maybe longer, I've never really paid attention. They get stored in arborio rice. On the rare occasions when they've been around long enough that I start to get worried about them, I've either submerged them in decent olive oil and stored in freezer or chopped them finely and made a compound butter and froze.

They should never be washed in water, just brushed off with a brush.

White or black?

Oh, in Long Island, I would think there would be someplace that had them all the time when they are in season. A cavier place in Fort Lauderdale pretty much had them all the time in season. We've also gotten them from Oregon Mushrooms.

Last edited:
They were offering both white and black. One significantly more expensive than the other. I bought one a few years ago, and I also remember it lasting a few weeks, that I was surprised to hear the guy say only a few days .

Im sure with a little searching, I can find other places to get them ( other than online), but this was the first time I actually saw them advertised.

Its and Italian supermarket chain up here called Uncle Giusseppes.

And, anytime I get a few different answers from different people at the same store, a red flag goes up. It either tells me they are not educated on the product they are selling or they are trying to pull one over on me. The price in the paper, was different than the price mentioned over the phone ( thats when she was told the price changes every day). Athen the way and length of time to store them was different. And then I think they told her there was a shipping charge too, which seemed kinda bizarre to me, cause they said they were taking orders, so I assume they would order a bunch at a time ( which would reduce the shipping charge). The product was to be picked up at the store ( not delivered to the house). Andnone of this was mentioned in the advertisement, only after calling.

I'd be a little worried about that too. If you have to pay shipping, might as well order them online and have them delivered to home.

Whites will be about 5x as expensive as blacks, at least.

Ask where they originate too. The caviar place told Craig China was growing them last time he bought some.

Yeah, the original add had the black's about $40 and the Whites in the $120 range. Then my friend called up, and they said they went from $40 to $69. I then went to a website I had gotten them in the past, and was able to get for about $20 - 30. Granted there are different varieties, locations, countries, states ..... But just seemed a little fishy to me.

I've never seen whites for $120 range, always $200+, not even years and years ago. I'd be leery.

Urbani's has fresh white and blacks now. Don't know how much of a pain it is for you to go into NYC proper, but their shipping is regular priority and express mail so it's not outrageous. I've never bought from them but I've never heard anything bad about them either.

Where we live here in Italy is known for the quality of the truffles. Most people store them in arborio rice, which is then stored in a dry cool place, or you shave them into very thin slices and dry them. Other alternatives would be to store them, chopped, in best quality olive oil, then the oil would be truffle-flavoured as well.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom