"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
The truffle has a unique flavor that is unlike the flavor of any other mushroom, but is unmistakably a mushroom flavor. All I can say is to purchace a bottle of truffle oil, and try it.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I love truffles and agree that they have a very earthy unique flavor. But I think they don't taste anything like mushrooms.

Word to truffle oil as the best way to dip your oar into the world of truffles.

I love good caviar too!

Old 09-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye
Perhaps saffron is a bit pricier?
I think you are right that saffron is the most expensive foodstuff by weight. But saffron is, IMO, much more accessible to the home cook than truffles or caviar or kobe beef, etc.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #33
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
Best way to try truffles without breaking the bank is to buy a small bottle of truffle oil. Drizzle it on top of mac and cheese (homemade!) after it bakes. Drizzle it on polenta, pasta (not on red sauce).

If you like that you can find truffle butter at several sources on line. It's not cheap - but a tiny slice on a perfectly cooked steak, or melted on risotto or polenta with lots of parm is pure heaven. There is also truffle salt. I'm dying to add that to my spice rack.

The flavor is earthy, a bit garlicy, makes my eyes roll back in my head!
Sharon's given you some good suggestions for affordable ways to try out the flavor! Truffle Butter on mashed or baked potatoes is pretty wonderful, too..

I've been fortunate to have enjoyed both black and white truffles... I really love the black ones atop softly scrambled eggs. The flavor combo is fabulous. I think white truffles are at their best shaved over saffron risotto. I enjoyed them that way a couple of years ago when I attended a dinner where Chef Roberto Donna of Galileo in DC prepared the largest white truffle of that year for an all-truffle dinner here in New York.

I love to stuff slices of truffle under the skin of boneless chicken breasts and poach them in white wine/stock. That's a traditional Lyonnaise dish called "Chicken in Half-Mourning." -- (in French, "Demi-Deuil")
Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Oh, my God...truffles....Icoud kill, for them...On eggs, on meats,on some fishes, on vegetables....I'd eat them on everything....
Here, there are two essential types of Truffles: the white ones, in Alba (piemonte) zone, and the black ones in Norcia(Umbria) area. Prices...prices can change, because they depend by the season. Sometimes, here, they arrived till 3000-4000 €/kg for the big, white ones, and 20-30% less for the black ones. The little ones are really cheaper, much cheaper. Chips (splinters?) are....150...200/kg. Difficult to say.
Only a precisation: truffles icecreams are icecreams in which there is only the shape of truffle: a big ball dark brown (chocolate powder) with peanuts and white icecream inside. Nearly the same colours.... .
For lulu: my wife is the same than you: if I eat them, she open the windows, goes away, or send me out in the balcony . Particular smelling: or you love it, or you hate it.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
I love to stuff slices of truffle under the skin of boneless chicken breasts and poach them in white wine/stock. That's a traditional Lyonnaise dish called "Chicken in Half-Mourning." -- (in French, "Demi-Deuil")
Yum. Had it but never made it. It's delicious.

Balthazar's truffle salad dressing (for their excellent house salad) is a favorite of mine. That, I make at home.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I think you are right that saffron is the most expensive foodstuff by weight. But saffron is, IMO, much more accessible to the home cook than truffles or caviar or kobe beef, etc.
Point taken, especially when you consider what a small quantity of saffron is used in a dish that feeds many.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

So how long before some money hungry entrepreneur decided to come up with the worlds most expensive dish, which combines truffles, saffron, caviar, etc.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #38
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
They'll be some huge cooking contest to see what special person in the world gets to cook the meal
and then another contest to eat it. :P
Old 09-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

I have that for breakfast three times a week on a gold leaf bagel.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #40
Chief Eating Officer

Andy I think DC DC made a mistake in your last few direct deposits.