"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #41
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
hahaha

nice

the most expensive meal that I can remember I've had would be a Bison Burger at this fancy hotel in British Columbia. It was $45 I think.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #42
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I can't stand truffles... its such a strong flavor, very aromatic, but not in a good way. Its very offensive flavor to me. The restaurant I work at does a Cured Salmon dish, with crispy potato skins, creme fraische and truffle oil... I think the truffle oil really overpowers the wonderful salmon flavor.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:54 PM   #43
Senior Cook

i think the taste of truffles is indescribable. unlike several respondents, i dont think it has a "garlicky" flavor at all. i have tried the truffle oils - the one made from white truffles i find is more potent than the one made from the black ones. i have tried the black truffle paste and find that it is not very truffle-tasting, if you have to choose either paste or oil then i would go with the oil. i do like truffles and truffle oils now very much so and understand the complexity it can add to a dish (not any dish) when used right, but it took me a while to appreciate it. i will use a very strange adjective to describe the scent of truffle oil which i have never seen anyone use, but it does remind me of the way gasoline smells!
Old 09-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #44
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
I can't stand truffles... its such a strong flavor, very aromatic, but not in a good way. Its very offensive flavor to me. The restaurant I work at does a Cured Salmon dish, with crispy potato skins, creme fraische and truffle oil... I think the truffle oil really overpowers the wonderful salmon flavor.
You almost sound like one of those judges on Iron Chef.... ever considered learning japanese?
Old 09-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboenomo
the most expensive meal that I can remember I've had would be a Bison Burger at this fancy hotel in British Columbia. It was $45 I think.
Wow..... 45 dollars? You think that's an expensive meal?
Old 09-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #46
Head Chef

No
I think it's the most expensive meal I've had.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #47
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboenomo
You almost sound like one of those judges on Iron Chef.... ever considered learning japanese?

It's just common sense.... I mean for those that like the truffle flavor, thats great, but if all you can taste in a dish is the truffle oil, then I don't understand why you would bother pairing it with something like cured salmon... the point is to be able to blend the flavors, and maybe cured salmon and truffle oil work well together in theory, but as the dish stands, its like eating truffle flavored potatoes.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #48
Head Chef

Wouldn't know... I've never had truffles... I want to try them. That's why I started this thread.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S
but it does remind me of the way gasoline smells!
if this is true I feel OK about not having them yet. But harborwitch's idea of the oil over polenta sounds pretty good.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:56 PM   #50
Sous Chef

Gasoline???????

Polenta is one of my favorite things - I adore it and the truffle oil on it is to die for. I'm hoping I can find some more of the polenta with the truffle bits in it. If food can ever be said to be better than sex this is it!