Truffles - what are they like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdiprincess

Senior Cook
Okay so I was thinking about trying to get my hands on some truffles.. (not the chocolate kind)...
What do they taste like?
What would I cook them with?

Thanks for the ideas! Britt :)

Well, they taste like the earth. Only way i could really describe it. Very organic.

sounds low key, but I like them shaved over mac&cheese, not the boxed kind, but a nice home made mac&cheese with white cheddar.

Well, they taste like the earth. Only way i could really describe it. Very organic.

sounds low key, but I like them shaved over mac&cheese, not the boxed kind, but a nice home made mac&cheese with white cheddar.

Kraft mac& cheese and truffles - you could probably get arrested for that! :LOL:

You might want to start out with some oil. Even white truffle oil. Homemade (thinner) French fries drizzled with white truffle oil and then shaved Parmesan on top - YUM! Or add to mashed potatoes.

I guess, tdiprincess, you know how expensive they are? :ohmy:

That's pretty expensive stuff to get your hands on before learning how to cook with them and what to use them in.:ohmy:

In our case we could either pay the gas bill this month, or get truffles! Wife frowned at me there, guess I have to go with the gas bill.:(

Maybe find a nice five star restaurant in your area that has dishes made with truffles and order them. It will give you a good idea of what they taste like, how they use them, and whether or not you like them enough to spend the money on them and give it a try yourself.

TATTRAT,
As kitchenelf stated, you'd get 15 yrs in France for mixing truffles, mac and cheese.

tdiprincess,
Buy a small quantity of shaved truffles and use them over fluffy scrambled eggs.
It is the perfect way to start your day.

If you are buying white truffle oil, check the label and make sure the ingredients are truffles and oil ONLY, nothing else.

Truffled Mac and cheese is fabulous! (not the Kraft kind, tho... :rolleyes:

I like them best shaved over softly scrambled eggs. served with champagne. :chef:

They are a fungus, and very earthy in flavor... if you've ever eaten dirt???? :angel:

Back
Top Bottom