"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I didn't see any bogus information in this thread. Corn is okay, in moderation -- and when eaten as corn. But, it is in almost everything people eat in America. It's even in the gasoline we burn in our cars. It is corporate welfare that is killing us.

I can deal with GG. I just hope Monsanto doesn't sue me for these comments.

CD
Bogus was a poor choice of words. I should have written "confusing information".

There were statements being made implying that all forms corn were equivalent.
  • Corn on the cob has one nutritional profile.
  • Corn syrup has another one.
  • High fructose corn syrup, also known as glucose-fructose, isoglucose and glucose-fructose syrup, is yet a different thing with its own nutritional profile. It's the one usually considered unhealthy.
  • Nixtamalized corn, such as masa, has yet another nutritional profile, which is different from corn flour which hasn't been nixtamalized.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks, for once again, telling us all how stupid we are.

I love grilled sweet corn, too (did I already mention that?). But corn is in almost everything we eat these days. Processed foods, for sure. But it also feeds the cattle that provides us with beef. Does it need to be in almost everything we eat? No. It's cheap (government subsidized).

That's why it gets a bad rap. It is found in so many foods you wouldn't expect it to be in -- so many foods it has no good reason to be in.

CD
This is what you actually said, and this is what I was addressing.
Quote:
As much as I love some grilled summer sweet corn, as you said, it is not all that good for us. It is not one of the better vegetables for us, but it is government subsidized, and is found in way too many foods.

CD

Old 06-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I can't digest the skins on the kernels.
No one can. Foods high in insoluble fiber are indigestible by everyone - that's what makes them good for most people - the fiber helps feed gut bacteria and cleans out the colon. But people with certain medical conditions can't eat high fiber foods.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:42 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I had never heard of Teddie peanut butter until we moved to MA...with my supply of Smucker's Natural. We had lived about 30 miles from the Smucker's plant, so of course it was available easily by us. I did try Teddie's, but found that it was way "looser" than Smucker's and would slide right out of the sandwich. That's OK, since I didn't like the flavor as much as I did of Smucker's. Odd, since you would think they would taste a lot alike if they're both just peanuts.

BTW, I did just check Eat This's peanut butter rankings. Smucker's is now at the top of their list - partly because it is available nationwide. Oddly, they say that the Natural PBs, both creamy and chunky, have 190 calories. I just looked at my label. It says "180". Awright! I'll take ten few...who am I kidding, I'll just smear a little more on the apple or cracker.
Because Teddie is located so close to us, it is a lot cheaper than any other brand on the market is this area. In fact, it is just around the corner of Market Basket in Everett. I mostly use it to make cookies. It is like insurance that the cookies are soft. You do have to stir it well. The natural always has the oil on top, so I store it upside down. Then when I go to use it, the oil slowly will move to the top. When I think there is enough oil on top, I stir.

Like Kayem, I called and asked if the factory had a store there. And the answer both factories was "No". They don't want to be in competition with the stores that carry their product.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:56 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Bogus was a poor choice of words. I should have written "confusing information".

There were statements being made implying that all forms corn were equivalent.
  • Corn on the cob has one nutritional profile.
  • Corn syrup has another one.
  • High fructose corn syrup, also known as glucose-fructose, isoglucose and glucose-fructose syrup, is yet a different thing with its own nutritional profile. It's the one usually considered unhealthy.
  • Nixtamalized corn, such as masa, has yet another nutritional profile, which is different from corn flour which hasn't been nixtamalized.
I agree. Corn is not all bad, or all good. It's complicated, as they say. I do think it is way overused, and oversubsidised by taxpayers. As a reasonable part of a balanced diet, corn is fine. Like most things, it is best eaten in its purest form.

We are basically on the same page.

CD

Tags
pizza, tomato sauce, tomato, sugar, sauce