Truth/facts about sugar in pizza sauce/tomato sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stopped eating corn a number of years back. Mostly due to the natural sugar in it. It was one of the foods I gave up when I became a diabetic. I may eat beets about once or twice a year. Another food with a high count of natural sugar. Think "Beet Sugar". Grant you, the beets that are turned into the granulated sugar that you buy in your grocery store are not very edible, but there is still sugar in the ones we do eat.

Sweet corn, as distinguished from field corn, is not as bad nutritionally as many people think. It has a reasonable amount of sugar - which is not poisonous, you know - has a good amount of several nutrients and provides a lot of fiber. People love to bring out the natural sugar in tomatoes, onions, etc. I don't know why corn gets such a bad rap.

From http://www.eatingwell.com/article/111076/is-corn-healthy-or-not-5-myths-about-sweet-corn-busted/

Myth #3: Sweet corn is high in sugar

Fact: Yes, corn is sweet for a vegetable—but there are only 6 grams of natural sugar in a medium-size ear of corn. An ear of sweet corn has less than half the sugar of a banana and only about one-third the sugar of an apple. Even beets have more grams of sugar per serving than corn.

The high-sugar corn myth may be partly due to some long-standing confusion over corn varieties. High-fructose corn syrup, dextrose, glucose and other sweeteners are derived from field corn, the virtually inedible commodity crop used to make everything from livestock feed to ethanol. Those highly processed sweeteners are nothing like the natural sugars found in sweet corn, the vegetable you eat. Ditch the stuff with the chemical-sounding names, and stick to the real thing instead.

Myth #4: Corn has no health benefits

Fact: For starters, sweet corn is loaded with lutein and zeaxanthin, two phytochemicals that promote healthy vision. Besides helping with weight loss, the insoluble fiber in corn feeds good bacteria in your gut, which aids in digestion and helps keep you regular. Throw in a healthy amount of B vitamins, plus iron, protein and potassium, and you've got one sweet package.

Myth #5: The cooking process robs corn of its nutrients.

Fact: Cooking sweet corn actually boosts its benefits. In a Cornell study, researchers found that while sweet corn loses vitamin C during cooking, its antioxidant activity increases. Studies show eating foods high in antioxidants can help lower your risk of heart disease as well as Alzheimer's disease, cataracts and other health problems linked to aging. Cooked sweet corn also has a surprising amount of ferulic acid, a type of compound that helps fight cancer. Crank up the cooking temp and you'll increase the benefit even more.

We love grilled fresh corn on the cob in the summer :yum:

Last edited:
There is a site called eatthis.com. What I like about it is that they look at the back of the label for you and let you know exactly what you are buying and eating. You would be unpleasantly surprised just how many of the foods we buy that have sugar in them. And sugar is one of the worst of foods you can put into your body. Along with any product that ends in "ose."

This site also will tell you which product have the least or no sugar and the best labeled item to buy. Well, worth the reading.

Do you like peanut butter? They found only one peanut butter that had only two items in the jar. Peanuts and salt. Or you can buy sans salt if you choose to. Just creamy ground peanuts.
Just checked out eatthis.com . Looks like a great site. Thanks Addie.

Sweet corn, as distinguished from field corn, is not as bad nutritionally as many people think. It has a reasonable amount of sugar - which is not poisonous, you know - has a good amount of several nutrients and provides a lot of fiber. People love to bring out the natural sugar in tomatoes, onions, etc. I don't know why corn gets such a bad rap.

From Is Corn Healthy or Not? 5 Myths About Sweet Corn Busted - EatingWell

We love grilled fresh corn on the cob in the summer :yum:

Thanks, for once again, telling us all how stupid we are. :rolleyes:

I love grilled sweet corn, too (did I already mention that?). But corn is in almost everything we eat these days. Processed foods, for sure. But it also feeds the cattle that provides us with beef. Does it need to be in almost everything we eat? No. It's cheap (government subsidized).

That's why it gets a bad rap. It is found in so many foods you wouldn't expect it to be in -- so many foods it has no good reason to be in.

CD

I love grilled sweet corn, too (did I already mention that?). But corn is in almost everything we eat these days. Processed foods, for sure. But it also feeds the cattle that provides us with beef. Does it need to be in almost everything we eat? No. It's cheap (government subsidized).

That's why it gets a bad rap. It is found in so many foods you wouldn't expect it to be in -- so many foods it has no good reason to be in.

CD

I can't digest the skins on the kernels. And I certainly do not need or want my food sweetened or enhanced using corn by products. As a kid taking food directly from the kitchen garden for our lunch, we knew what fresh veggies tasted like. Now I love corn chowder. But I eat the taters, salt pork and the broth. But I leave the corn in the bowl. And I am healthier for it. And my digestive system is ecstatic!

Just checked out eatthis.com . Looks like a great site. Thanks Addie.

They did a comparison survey on a lot of the daily foods we eat. One time I was severely shot down because I was touting a peanut butter made very close to where I live. Teddie PB by the nemesis member here. It turned out that Teddie PB was the #1. Two ingredients. Peanuts and salt. And you can get it salt free if you choose to. It has been the only PB I have been buying for years. Granted it cost a wee bit more than the more well known brands, but the other brands had the most ingredients in them.

The article was called Eat This, Not That. Really interesting reading. https://www.eatthis.com/

It will certainly open your eyes to what you are putting in your body.

Last edited:

CD
Are you saying that you would rather no one corrects bogus information?

...It turned out that Teddie PB was the #1. Two ingredients. Peanuts and salt. And you can get it salt free if you choose to. It has been the only PB I have been buying for years...
I had never heard of Teddie peanut butter until we moved to MA...with my supply of Smucker's Natural. :yum: We had lived about 30 miles from the Smucker's plant, so of course it was available easily by us. I did try Teddie's, but found that it was way "looser" than Smucker's and would slide right out of the sandwich. That's OK, since I didn't like the flavor as much as I did of Smucker's. Odd, since you would think they would taste a lot alike if they're both just peanuts.

BTW, I did just check Eat This's peanut butter rankings. Smucker's is now at the top of their list - partly because it is available nationwide. Oddly, they say that the Natural PBs, both creamy and chunky, have 190 calories. I just looked at my label. It says "180". :huh: Awright! I'll take ten few...who am I kidding, I'll just smear a little more on the apple or cracker. :LOL:

Are you saying that you would rather no one corrects bogus information?

I didn't see any bogus information in this thread. Corn is okay, in moderation -- and when eaten as corn. But, it is in almost everything people eat in America. It's even in the gasoline we burn in our cars. It is corporate welfare that is killing us.

I can deal with GG. I just hope Monsanto doesn't sue me for these comments. :ohmy: :LOL: :ermm:

CD

CD
You know, I don't get snippy when you wax on about something, as if none of the rest of us has heard of such a thing :rolleyes: Lighten up.

So what if it's part of cattle feed? They have to eat something; pure forage doesn't have a lot of nutrition for them, and can even be dangerous. For your further edification, read this. Or don't. Whatevs.

https://beefrunner.com/2012/09/27/ask-a-farmer-does-feeding-corn-harm-cattle/

I didn't see any bogus information in this thread. Corn is okay, in moderation -- and when eaten as corn. But, it is in almost everything people eat in America. It's even in the gasoline we burn in our cars. It is corporate welfare that is killing us.

I can deal with GG. I just hope Monsanto doesn't sue me for these comments. :ohmy: :LOL: :ermm:

CD

Bogus was a poor choice of words. I should have written "confusing information".

There were statements being made implying that all forms corn were equivalent.

• Corn on the cob has one nutritional profile.
  • Corn syrup has another one.
  • High fructose corn syrup, also known as glucose-fructose, isoglucose and glucose-fructose syrup, is yet a different thing with its own nutritional profile. It's the one usually considered unhealthy.
  • Nixtamalized corn, such as masa, has yet another nutritional profile, which is different from corn flour which hasn't been nixtamalized.

CD
This is what you actually said, and this is what I was addressing.
As much as I love some grilled summer sweet corn, as you said, it is not all that good for us. It is not one of the better vegetables for us, but it is government subsidized, and is found in way too many foods.

CD

I can't digest the skins on the kernels.

No one can. Foods high in insoluble fiber are indigestible by everyone - that's what makes them good for most people - the fiber helps feed gut bacteria and cleans out the colon. But people with certain medical conditions can't eat high fiber foods.

I had never heard of Teddie peanut butter until we moved to MA...with my supply of Smucker's Natural. :yum: We had lived about 30 miles from the Smucker's plant, so of course it was available easily by us. I did try Teddie's, but found that it was way "looser" than Smucker's and would slide right out of the sandwich. That's OK, since I didn't like the flavor as much as I did of Smucker's. Odd, since you would think they would taste a lot alike if they're both just peanuts.

BTW, I did just check Eat This's peanut butter rankings. Smucker's is now at the top of their list - partly because it is available nationwide. Oddly, they say that the Natural PBs, both creamy and chunky, have 190 calories. I just looked at my label. It says "180". :huh: Awright! I'll take ten few...who am I kidding, I'll just smear a little more on the apple or cracker. :LOL:

Because Teddie is located so close to us, it is a lot cheaper than any other brand on the market is this area. In fact, it is just around the corner of Market Basket in Everett. I mostly use it to make cookies. It is like insurance that the cookies are soft. You do have to stir it well. The natural always has the oil on top, so I store it upside down. Then when I go to use it, the oil slowly will move to the top. When I think there is enough oil on top, I stir.

Like Kayem, I called and asked if the factory had a store there. And the answer both factories was "No". They don't want to be in competition with the stores that carry their product.

Bogus was a poor choice of words. I should have written "confusing information".

There were statements being made implying that all forms corn were equivalent.

• Corn on the cob has one nutritional profile.
  • Corn syrup has another one.
  • High fructose corn syrup, also known as glucose-fructose, isoglucose and glucose-fructose syrup, is yet a different thing with its own nutritional profile. It's the one usually considered unhealthy.
  • Nixtamalized corn, such as masa, has yet another nutritional profile, which is different from corn flour which hasn't been nixtamalized.

I agree. Corn is not all bad, or all good. It's complicated, as they say. I do think it is way overused, and oversubsidised by taxpayers. As a reasonable part of a balanced diet, corn is fine. Like most things, it is best eaten in its purest form.

We are basically on the same page.

CD

Back
Top Bottom