"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Truth/facts about sugar in pizza sauce/tomato sauce

Hi, I am new here and I am not sure witch section of this forum to post my question in, hopefully this is correct. Someone who I wont name told me that adding sugar to pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce takes out the impurities in the sauce when cooking it and makes the sauce better health wise or more healthy. I don't quite by this and so I came here to ask professionals if that is right. Is it true? I don't want to eat pizza or spaghetti with added sugar in it because I don't want my teeth to get messed up or rot. I like to keep it healthy.

discusscookingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusscookingnewbie View Post
Hi, I am new here and I am not sure witch section of this forum to post my question in, hopefully this is correct. Someone who I wont name told me that adding sugar to pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce takes out the impurities in the sauce when cooking it and makes the sauce better health wise or more healthy. I don't quite by this and so I came here to ask professionals if that is right. Is it true? I don't want to eat pizza or spaghetti with added sugar in it because I don't want my teeth to get messed up or rot. I like to keep it healthy.
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

No, that person is not correct. A little sugar can be used to balance the flavor of a sauce that's too acidic, but it doesn't do anything else. If you don't think your sauce needs it, you can leave it out. A little bit of sugar isn't going to rot your teeth, as long as you brush regularly

Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
A little bit of sugar isn't going to rot your teeth, as long as you brush regularly
And floss too!!

Just about everything you're going to eat will either have sugar or break down into sugar, which basically feeds the bacteria that will break the sugars down even more to an acid that will do the actual damage to your teeth ( along with any acidic foods). In addition, stickier things are worse than something that is fluid (for example, caramel, dried fruit ...). They adhere to the teeth, making it more difficult to clean.

Sure, the extra sugar would make your teeth more at risk than less sugar. But in reality, if you clean it off after eating ( brushing, flossing and rinsing), there should be no problem. Some people are more cavity prone than others due to the enamel make up of their teeth or even the specific tooth anatomy itself.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi !!
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
Head Chef

Hi
Welcome to DC.
I am sure you get more sugar
than that by accident, don't
worry about it.

Josie
Old 04-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusscookingnewbie View Post

I have no idea why anyone would think that. Its not true.

Sugar doesn't decrease acidity but it masks it, thus balancing it out. It also helps savory food taste more savory in small amounts.

Your teeth wont rot if you add a pinch of sugar to spaghetti sauce
Old 04-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Sugar dissolves in liquid. Do you ever eat ice cream? Drink tea or coffee and put sugar in them along with your cream? Even that nice cold ice cream you love so much in the summer has a sweetener in it. Eat foods that have corn syrup in it? (corn syrup is a form of sugar) Read the back on the label. If it says fructose, or any word ending in "ose" then there is sugar in it.

And welcome to DC. Lots of fun and laughter here along with useful information.
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Hello and welcome
I've never heard of adding sugar to pizza or spaghetti sauce. I might think to add if the sauce is extremely tart but I've never heard it as a improvement tip. Sometimes I find those sauce to be too sweet and add a little vinegar. But that's just me.
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Sugar has long been added to make tomato sauce that is too acidic taste better . The result is often a cloyingly sweet sauce.

The solution to an overly acidic sauce is to counteract the acidity not add other flavors.

If your sauce is too acidic, add a tiny amount of baking soda. Stir and taste. Repeat as needed.
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Sugar does not take out any impurities.

Tags
pizza, tomato sauce, tomato, sugar, sauce