"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #41
Senior Cook

All those years aboard boats and I did all the cooking. I timed the watch schedule so I could prepare the meals. First b/c I enjoyed doing it. It was a form of relaxation and second the men who worked for me generally didn't believe in washing their hands more than once a week. LOL I figured that's all I needed. Someone in the gallery five miles off shore in a rolling sea busy making 'salmonella burgers' that would put all of us in the hospital. That did happen only once many many years ago. I can remember every 'detail' of the next three days vividly.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #42
Senior Cook

Today I SV'ed some small Yukon Gold potatoes and some large pieces of carrot together. After a little experimenting I've put a tiny black dot beside one of the dials on my induction stove top. When the dial is turned to that dot I get exactly 180 F. I 3/4 filled a large pot with the hottest tape water and waited until the water in the pot with the lid on reached 180F. Into the large Zip lock went the potatoes/carrots/a few drops of fresh lemon juice/a tablespoon of clarified butter and a pinch of black pepper and a spring of fresh thyme. In an hour and 1/4 the internal temp of the potatoes and carrots was 180 F. I removed them and we ate them with a pinch of sea salt and some cold cuts and a nice mixed salad. I am here to say those potatoes and carrots were without a doubt the tastiest I/we have ever had. Perfect texture. I'm not just saying this b/c I'm a believer in SV cooking. I really do mean it. The best part is no one needs to go out a spend $ on yet another 'counter filler'. If you have a stove and can accurately control the temp. and a largish pot with a lid and a large Zip lock bag you are in the 'SV' business. LOL
Tonight it's meat loaf. When it's done in the bag I'll stick it on a small cookie tray and put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to get that nice 'umami' sear look/taste to the outside.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
How do you shape the meatloaf for SV? Do you use a loaf pan inside the bag?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, I'd love to see some pics of its preparation and cooking.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #45
Senior Cook

I plan to form the meat loaf by lining a meat loaf pan with a big piece of plastic wrap then putting the meatloaf in thus forming it to the pan then carefully turning the meat loaf out of the pan and using the rest of the plastic wrap to wrap the meat loaf tightly then into the Zip lock then when the meat is cooked I'll carefully unwrap it and place it on a small cookie sheet and stick it under the broiler to get the surface/s a nice golden brown. I've never tried it before. I'll put up some pixs later.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Wow puffin, you blow me away--i want you on my team!:) what do you know about the strategic erecting of snow fences, anything?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #47
Senior Cook

I know how to 'goggle' some info. for you: How to Install a Snow Fence | DoItYourself.com LOL
Ask me about how long it takes to tow a quarter mile long log boom traveling at six knots into a twenty mile an hour head wind and tide changes for a week. Answer: You need a bigger tug. LOL
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #48
Sous Chef

For my sous vide meatloaf I just rolled it into a log and carefully slid it lengthwise into a gallon ziplock. I pushed it to the bottom of the bag, and the bag held the loaf's shape pretty well. Wish I would have taken a picture.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
For my sous vide meatloaf I just rolled it into a log and carefully slid it lengthwise into a gallon ziplock. I pushed it to the bottom of the bag, and the bag held the loaf's shape pretty well. Wish I would have taken a picture.
Thanks. I'll do that with mine and hopefully put up some pix.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #50
Master Chef

Strolling through the internet I found quite a good resource for this method.

If you scroll down to the guide and table of contents, it's all clickable. I have no idea why, as why would one purchase his book? Anyway it also has some useful video's to boot.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.htm

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote