Trying sous vide for the first time today!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All those years aboard boats and I did all the cooking. I timed the watch schedule so I could prepare the meals. First b/c I enjoyed doing it. It was a form of relaxation and second the men who worked for me generally didn't believe in washing their hands more than once a week. LOL I figured that's all I needed. Someone in the gallery five miles off shore in a rolling sea busy making 'salmonella burgers' that would put all of us in the hospital. That did happen only once many many years ago. I can remember every 'detail' of the next three days vividly.

Today I SV'ed some small Yukon Gold potatoes and some large pieces of carrot together. After a little experimenting I've put a tiny black dot beside one of the dials on my induction stove top. When the dial is turned to that dot I get exactly 180 F. I 3/4 filled a large pot with the hottest tape water and waited until the water in the pot with the lid on reached 180F. Into the large Zip lock went the potatoes/carrots/a few drops of fresh lemon juice/a tablespoon of clarified butter and a pinch of black pepper and a spring of fresh thyme. In an hour and 1/4 the internal temp of the potatoes and carrots was 180 F. I removed them and we ate them with a pinch of sea salt and some cold cuts and a nice mixed salad. I am here to say those potatoes and carrots were without a doubt the tastiest I/we have ever had. Perfect texture. I'm not just saying this b/c I'm a believer in SV cooking. I really do mean it. The best part is no one needs to go out a spend $ on yet another 'counter filler'. If you have a stove and can accurately control the temp. and a largish pot with a lid and a large Zip lock bag you are in the 'SV' business. LOL
Tonight it's meat loaf. When it's done in the bag I'll stick it on a small cookie tray and put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to get that nice 'umami' sear look/taste to the outside.

Yeah, I'd love to see some pics of its preparation and cooking.

I plan to form the meat loaf by lining a meat loaf pan with a big piece of plastic wrap then putting the meatloaf in thus forming it to the pan then carefully turning the meat loaf out of the pan and using the rest of the plastic wrap to wrap the meat loaf tightly then into the Zip lock then when the meat is cooked I'll carefully unwrap it and place it on a small cookie sheet and stick it under the broiler to get the surface/s a nice golden brown. I've never tried it before. I'll put up some pixs later.

For my sous vide meatloaf I just rolled it into a log and carefully slid it lengthwise into a gallon ziplock. I pushed it to the bottom of the bag, and the bag held the loaf's shape pretty well. Wish I would have taken a picture.

For my sous vide meatloaf I just rolled it into a log and carefully slid it lengthwise into a gallon ziplock. I pushed it to the bottom of the bag, and the bag held the loaf's shape pretty well. Wish I would have taken a picture.
Thanks. I'll do that with mine and hopefully put up some pix.

Strolling through the internet I found quite a good resource for this method.

If you scroll down to the guide and table of contents, it's all clickable. I have no idea why, as why would one purchase his book? Anyway it also has some useful video's to boot.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.htm

Wow, that's great! Thanks! I'll definitely check that out more in depth when I have time. Great find!

Just made sous vide buffalo wings- they were awesome!! I only cooked them to 145° because I figured it would take a few min to really crisp up on the grill. It took maybe 4-5 min on each side, on a screaming hot grill on direct heat to make them nice and crispy. Inside, they were perfect and moist. I would say they were definitely on par with deep fried wings, maybe better since we love the caramelized flavor of the burned fat. I don't like to deep fry because it stinks up the house. Will definitely be making wings this way again. Does anyone know of a good brand of blow torch for the kitchen? I bought your average $25 torch from Walmart, and it couldn't hold a consistent flame, and would sputter out if you tilted it even to a 45° angle. I returned it.

Skittle, inside that website I left, he uses a torch in one of his video's that he recommends. I think it was the one with the steaks.

The chicken wings sound fabulous by the way!

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd love to see some pics of its preparation and cooking.

i've pix. somewhere. i'll see if if i've pretty ones. the ones we used were stainless, commom-looking squared metal boxes. w/ stuff to progam them on thier exteriors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom