Trying sous vide for the first time today!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
My wonderful bf got me a sous vide cook book for Christmas (it's not all sous vide, but that seems to be the general theme)! We are making surf and turf for a late lunch. Yum! Wish me luck!

image-2559278802.jpg

image-396451420.jpg

And here I thought you were going to be taking your surf and turf into the hot tub with you :LOL:

Good luck. As soon as I pick up a duck breast I'm going to be trying it, too.

And here I thought you were going to be taking your surf and turf into the hot tub with you :LOL:

Good luck. As soon as I pick up a duck breast I'm going to be trying it, too.

He he he- I don't think the 102° we keep the hot tub at would do it!! I'm maintaining 134-136° (aiming for 135°), then we are going to sear on direct heat on the grill, as hot as we can possibly get it. I might have to get my bf a blowtorch for a late Christmas present, then store it in my kitchen. Mwha ha ha ha

Wow! The steak turned out PERFECT! The salmon was perfect and juicy too. The only thing I would do different, is maybe cook the steak to 140 (medium) instead of 135 (medium rare). I like MR when it's just the middle, since the rest is cooked more, but when the entire steak is MR it's a little underdone for my taste. But wow, yum, yum yum! I would maybe sear it just a little more too. Definitely need a blowtorch. Cool!!

image-1978285044.jpg

Wow! The steak turned out PERFECT! The salmon was perfect and juicy too. The only thing I would do different, is maybe cook the steak to 140 (medium) instead of 135 (medium rare). I like MR when it's just the middle, since the rest is cooked more, but when the entire steak is MR it's a little underdone for my taste. But wow, yum, yum yum! I would maybe sear it just a little more too. Definitely need a blowtorch. Cool!!

View attachment 16657

That looks delicious!

I hear you about doneness and sear. How did you sear it? A screaming hot cast iron skillet for a bit longer might get you that crust that would make it perfect.

View attachment 16657

OMG! That beef looks melt in your mouth perfect. :chef:
Sweet!

That looks delicious!

I hear you about doneness and sear. How did you sear it? A screaming hot cast iron skillet for a bit longer might get you that crust that would make it perfect.

We put it on super hot, direct heat on our gas grill. We like the flavor open flame gives meat. Trying chicken for dinner :) Could do cast iron for the chicken, maybe. I'll ask bf what he thinks...

I decided to try browning the chicken in cast iron, as suggested. It was around 400°, browning the chicken almost instantly. It was definitely good. Moist and juicy, but I can't say it was really any better than any properly cooked chicken breast. I also miss the grill flavor, since it was browned in a pan. Next time we will finish on the grill again. Definitely a plus that you can pretty much forget about it while its in the water (other than checking the temp), and then dinner is ready almost instantly once it's done in the water. Makes it easier to concentrate on the side dishes. I also like that it almost guarantees it will be cooked perfectly every time.

image-2590429720.jpg

skittle, your meats cooked with the vide method look marvelous! particularly that 2" thick steak yesterday! i can't stop obsessing about it even today. i think you may have started something here at dc...:)

skittle, your meats cooked with the vide method look marvelous! particularly that 2" thick steak yesterday! i can't stop obsessing about it even today. i think you may have started something here at dc...:)

I know- I can't wait to do it again with steak, then sear with a blowtorch! It was up there with one of the best steaks I've ever had. I'm going to try doing some ribs, maybe beef brisket, pork shoulder, and more with this method. Even burgers, eggs, and vegetables! I need to figure out a way to not have to babysit the water to maintain the right temp, and then we will be set! Thinking large stock pot, stove on low, with no cover might keep it at a low enough temp. Will be doing some trial and error. My thermometer has an alarm too, so it can warn me if it gets too hot

Holy cow? Did I hear BOGO?
That seems like a great deal with all those pots... not that I need anymore pots, but if this thing is as good as they say. And I had no idea induction heat elements remained cool to the touch. Nifty. We need a thread on these, or maybe we already have one and I didn't notice.

Last edited:
This looks and sounds just great Skittle! That steak is just the way I like it.

As far as keeping the heat consistent, you've convinced me to finally order this, as I've been looking at it for some time, and it would be perfect for not only this, but maintaining temps for deep frying.

https://www.piccook.com/?mid=3334603

Want to get two of them and split the cost with me?? Just kidding lol. It sure would be nice, but I'm going to have to make due with what I have for now.

Sous vide= 'low and slow". It's curious to have people so resistant to the 'low and slow' method. LOL I'm not sure why though. It's easy to use the sous vide method without the expense of buying the appliance. Just a 'food safe' plastic bag that seals completely. Make sure all the air is removed. If your stove top element won't go low enough just move the pot off the heat a bit. Experiment and you'll soon know how much. I need to turn the burner down as low as it will go then only have the pot on the burner a couple of inches to keep the water at 140 F. You might not want to do this a lot but at least it gives you a chance to see how you like the sous vide method/result. Definitely searing after is recommended.

Last edited:
Sous vide= 'low and slow". It's curious to have people so resistant to the 'low and slow' method. LOL I'm not sure why though. It's easy to use the sous vide method without the expense of buying the appliance. Just a 'food safe' plastic bag that seals completely. Make sure all the air is removed. If your stove top element won't go low enough just move the pot off the heat a bit. Experiment and you'll soon know how much. I need to turn the burner down as low as it will go then only have the pot on the burner a couple of inches to keep the water at 140 F. You might not want to do this a lot but at least it gives you a chance to see how you like the sous vide method/result. Definitely searing after is recommended.

So true- look at crock pots? Would anyone say its unsafe to cook a chicken/turkey in a crock pot? I've been testing what it would keep water at on low, for sous vide, and it keeps it at 150, so I could probably keep it at a lower temp it I tried by cracking the cover. I use zip lock bags.

Back
Top Bottom