"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Add Parmesan to the sauce. In my experience, bottled Alfredo sauce doesn't have much punch. Parmesan will add that.

FYI: The easiest mock Alfredo sauce is equal parts:

Grated Parmessan
Evaporated Milk
Softened Cream Cheese

Tastes great!
Great information! Cream Cheese has saved my bacon a bunch o'times.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
Cook

It turned out pretty good but and I'm proud of myself. I took the advice of everyone who posted and even learned a few things on my own. Zhizara I couldn't come up with a chuck of cheese right before dinner so I used a little of the canned stuff.

This is what I learned today:

1) You guys are awesome! The advice was good and instructions simple which makes a difference if this is not something you're used to doing.
2) It helps to have all of your ingredients pre-measured and pre-cut and chopped instead of waiting until the last minute.
3) Not rinsing the roasted red peppers from the jar turned the alfredo sauce pink. Next time.....rinse.
4) A little capers go a long way.
5) The pine nuts would have tasted better if they were slightly toasted.
6) Cooking is something I'm going to enjoy.
7) Don't under estimate the value of a sharp knife or good cookware.

It didn't come out exactly the way I remembered it in the fine SF restaurant but it served several purposes. My lovely wife didn't have to worry about cooking after returning home. It built my confidence a little in the kitchen (the room in the house where I'm the least comfortable).

Tomorrow is a roast in the crock pot.....so you'll see me in here again when I start to panic sometime around lunchtime tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone for the good advice. You guys are awesome!!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #13
Cook

One more thing that I discovered was watching TV while cooking. I came across an old show called "Gilligan's Island". This has to be one of the most hilarious shows I have ever seen!! My wife has heard about it but never seen it before. I think we watched 6 episodes in a row!! There is a marathon playing and we are recording 24 hours worth. I can tell it is before my time but it's an awesome show. If you ever get the chance, it's worth the effort to watch.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvabigdog View Post
...This is what I learned today:

1) You guys are awesome! The advice was good and instructions simple which makes a difference if this is not something you're used to doing.
2) It helps to have all of your ingredients pre-measured and pre-cut and chopped instead of waiting until the last minute.
3) Not rinsing the roasted red peppers from the jar turned the alfredo sauce pink. Next time.....rinse.
4) A little capers go a long way.
5) The pine nuts would have tasted better if they were slightly toasted.
6) Cooking is something I'm going to enjoy.
7) Don't under estimate the value of a sharp knife or good cookware.

1. You picked up on that right away!
2. That's called mise en place. All ingredients measured, cut, roasted, rinsed, etc. and ready to go.
3. Pink is a nice color...
4. They sure do. I some folks don't care for them and leave them out.
5. This is true of all nuts. Be careful when roasting. They go from golden brown to burnt very quickly.
6. It's a good feeling to prepare a meal that everyone enjoys.
7. Good tools make any job easier.

If you can plan a meal or two ahead, asking us for questions on how to make dinner won't have to be last minute.

Alfredo sauce is a snap to make, quick as a wink and a big hit. Just 3 ingredients - butter, heavy cream, parmesan cheese. No need for the jarred stuff.

Congratulations on your success.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Gilligan's Island was a big hit back in the "good old days".

Just one question: Ginger or Mary Ann?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #16
Cook

Ha ha ha. Andy you are so right! My next batch of this stuff is coming from scratch.....no more jar stuff. And I already assembled the ingredients except for the meat which I will purchase tomorrow.

I would have to say not the model....but the other one. I think that is Mary Anne. Andy, I am married to a 26 year old lingerie model from Ryazhsk who designers her own line. Am I spoiled to beauty, yes. But to answer your question, Mary Anne. :)
Old 02-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
One more thing that I discovered was watching TV while cooking. I came across an old show called "Gilligan's Island". This has to be one of the most hilarious shows I have ever seen!! My wife has heard about it but never seen it before. I think we watched 6 episodes in a row!! There is a marathon playing and we are recording 24 hours worth. I can tell it is before my time but it's an awesome show. If you ever get the chance, it's worth the effort to watch.
oh I feel sooooo old now, wahhhhhhhhhh

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:05 AM   #18
Executive Chef

LBD this board has some very good cooks like most boards, the difference here is they are good and caring people.
I like complex but simple is the best. My all time fav pasta dish is the best dried pasta you can buy, the best non salt butter and quality Parm/regg.
Cook pasta drain and toss with lots butter and cheese.
A simple pesto is also fab on pasta or gnocchi.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:38 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
Great information! Cream Cheese has saved my bacon a bunch o'times.
I wanted a real Alfredo sauce flavor without all the work and went Googling among the recipes. I found this one and tried it. It tasted exactly the way I wanted it to.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

LBD, I thouight you were going to say that you were watching Gilligan's Island and decided to make a coconut cream pie, too

Tags
cook, recipe