"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Tuna Steaks

Can you buy good quality frozen ahi tuna steaks?? And if so. . . what brands are decent??

Old 03-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Master Chef

I've never bought frozen tuna steaks. I don't look for them either. If I want a good tuna steak, I go to the local seafood shop. I'm sure there are good ones out there but not sure which ones.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

no, but i have some salmon burger shaped patties in my freezer. have not cooked one yet, but i like the idea of a seafood burger.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenlee View Post
Can you buy good quality frozen ahi tuna steaks?? And if so. . . what brands are decent??
Yes you can buy quality frozen ahi. Brands I don't know, but I have bought very good frozen tuna (even sashimi grade) at seafood markets.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Master Chef

I don't live near any ocean, and as far as I know, tuna do not swim in the great lakes, and am 3 hours from O'Hare. Therefore any "fresh" tuna sold, is to me, suspect. They're lying, or it isn't fresh! I've found the frozen I've bought perfectly acceptable, and I love my local sushi chef. Of course it isn't what I bought when I lived in Hawaii, but give it a break already. If we only ate what was fresh and in season in many places, we'd have some serious vitamin deficiencies. Got some cryopacked, frozen tilapia and tuna on hand right now and it's all been great. Not as good as when you're sitting at the dock, but, heck, it's still good.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I don't live near any ocean, and as far as I know, tuna do not swim in the great lakes, and am 3 hours from O'Hare. Therefore any "fresh" tuna sold, is to me, suspect. They're lying, or it isn't fresh! I've found the frozen I've bought perfectly acceptable, and I love my local sushi chef. Of course it isn't what I bought when I lived in Hawaii, but give it a break already. If we only ate what was fresh and in season in many places, we'd have some serious vitamin deficiencies. Got some cryopacked, frozen tilapia and tuna on hand right now and it's all been great. Not as good as when you're sitting at the dock, but, heck, it's still good.
I agree. A lot of wild caught fish is now frozen at sea. Probably not a bad thing since fish deteriorate rapidly when out ot the water.

What I am very cautious about is buying thawed fish. I prefer to buy it still frozen and thaw as needed.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

+1 on buying frozen when off the boat isn't available.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Everymom

I like the tuna at Costco. Its individually frozen and its very tasty.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #9
Sous Chef

In order for it to be safe to eat rare or raw it has to have be frozen for a certain time to a certain temperature, so if they say it's sushi grade, it's been frozen anyway, no matter where you buy it.

I had a lady accuse me the other night at work of not having good quality salmon because I told her we couldn't serve it rare. I politely explained to her what sushi grade means and that we couldn't serve it rare because our salmon had never been frozen. She looked at me like I'd just told her sushi comes from green men in flying saucers. Oh well, I tried!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
Executive Chef

This may seem like heresy, my inlaws catch a few mediteranian tuna and it goes on the grill I am not keen, I like it raw but my fav is out of the tin mashed with mayo.

Tags
tuna