Turkey filling and "Chicken fat"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nancy's Helper

Assistant Cook
Hello All:

Need to find source (substitute) of “Chicken Fat” similar to that found in Lipton’s CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP.
It’s a small Red box (5”high x 4.5” w x 1.5” thick) with blue label saying CHICKEN NOODLE with diced white chicken. These packages are being discontinued……

The “chicken fat” from these packages "of soup" has been traditionally used for flavoring and texture to Holiday “Turkey filling” in our family. This “chicken fat” is sealed in a foil package and is malleable and yellow.

Questions:
1) Can one buy something similar in market?
2) Is it possible to extract fat while cooking a chicken, then “do something to it” to make fat like Lipton’s Fat?

Thanking all,
Nancy’s helper

If you buy whole chickens, it's relatively easy to gather good-sized pieces of chicken fat. You can render and strain the fat and freeze it for later use.

I'm not familiar with the Lipton product so I cannot tell you if this is an exact replacement. Would there be added seasonings in the Lipton stuff?

Andy M. is correct, if you're buying whole chickens, the fat is easily obtainable. There is a lot of fat where the tail is, just cut that off. If you're cuttin the chicken up, and skinning it, save the skin and render that with the fat. Strain it off and chill it.

There is a jarred chicken soup base that fits your description of malleable and yellow. I've used it before, and it's quite tasty, albeit quite high in sodium.

Constance said:
There is a jarred chicken soup base that fits your description of malleable and yellow. I've used it before, and it's quite tasty, albeit quite high in sodium.

I think Constance has hit the nail on the head. The packet in the soup box is a soup base that is made up of concentrated stock and seasonings, not fat. I guess we were all asleep at the switch except for Constance.

Whole chickens

Hello:

Thank you for your response....
Yes, i've thought of "cooking a chicken" to get FAT, but never enter my mind about freezing, was thinking more about JAR and keeping in refrigerator.

And, you hit nail on the head.... what's been added to LIPTON's fat giving it the stability (to keep at room temperature in foil bag) and flavouring. or added seasoning. How would one get the chicken fat into that state (Lipton's)?
Any thoughts?

Thank you all...

And Constance, do you know the name of the product you made reference to in your reply?
Sure would like to have look see........
Thanks again.

It sounds like what you are looking for may be a rendered chicken or goose fat product called schmaltz. You can find it in Jewish/Kosher deli/stores. If you live in a community that has a large Jewish population you can sometimes find it in a grocery store in the "ethnic foods" section.

Here are some recipes to make your own schmaltz. It's really not that hard. I never buy skinless chicken ... it cost more for them to remove the skin and fat, and I don't have the ingredients to make my schmaltz!

I am very familiar with "bases" like Constance was talking about. These are concentrated broths - similar to bouillion cubes but in more of a very thick paste form than dry cubes. Normally - you use 1 teaspoon + 1 cup boiling water to make 1 cup broth. But, you could reduce the water if you're looking for a more concentrated chicken flavor - but it will lack that texture the fat gives. In that case - you could use a little base and a little butter.

Last edited:
I agree that Nancy's Helper seems to want chicken base.

They can be found at many stores or on the web. One brand is Minor's, but there are many others.

Good luck.

I would suggest that you could get the same effect for your holiday filling by using chicken bouillion and butter.But boiling a whole chicken (do it for an hour at a good simmer) will give you some delicious chicken broth/stock to use whereever you want and enough rendered chicken fat (that will solidify on top) for your filling. Just freeze in a plastic bag--and remember where you put it in the freezer. ;o)

Thanking you all!!!
Andy.M, AllenMI, Constance, Michael, AuntDot and Gretchen. (hope that's all of you)

I've received some great info for myself as well as NANCY!
Keeping my ear to the ground (eye on the screen, so to speak)
Keep up the good work.....

Back
Top Bottom